Disney Alligator Attack: Matt Graves Says Two Gators Involved In Death Of His Son
Matt Graves, the father of the little boy who was killed in the Disney alligator attack on June 14, indicated to rescue teams there were two alligators involved that tragic day. According to KTNV Channel 13 and emails obtained by the Orlando Sentinel, Capt. Tom Wellons told his supervisors that Graves was attacked by a second alligator when feverishly attempting to save 2-year-old Lane.
Mr. Graves refused to leave the beach as searchers tried to locate his son. Eventually, however, Wellons talked the frantic father into going to the hospital to get stitches and antibiotics for his alligator bites. The only reason Graves agreed to go was because the captain promised he could return after he was treated.
Matt Graves says two alligators were involved in the attack that killed his son. https://t.co/o8DBJMoQp0
— wilxTV (@wilxTV) July 3, 2016
Emails between the two men were forwarded to Orange County officials, as a means to alert authorities about the possibility of a second alligator.
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission personnel are confident that they caught the gator that killed Lane. In total, 21 alligators have been caught on Disney World property since the beginning of 2016.
As previously reported by the Inquisitr, Disney and the Grand Floridian seemingly knew about the alligator problem prior to the attack that took the life of little Lane Graves. Apparently, several employees expressed anxiety and concern over the fact that guests staying at the ritzy Bora Bora Bungalows commonly fed the reptiles.
Some of these same employees even suggested putting up fences, or at least signs, to warn visitors about the possible danger. These suggestions were ignored until the recent tragedy.
A Disney World “park insider” indicated that nothing was done to stop Bora Bora guests from interacting with the gators. Why? It all came down to money. Bungalow guests paid up to $2,000 per night for their accommodations. The insider explained it like this.
“Disney has known about the problem of guests feeding the alligators well-prior to the opening of the bungalows. With the opening of the bungalows, it brought the guests that much closer to wildlife. Or, the wildlife that much closer to the guests.”
The entire Walt Disney property is connected by a series of canals. So, it’s virtually impossible to keep gators out of the lakes. They are frequently seen wandering around Disney golf courses as well. Since the park employs a full-time staff, dedicated to controlling the reptile population, doesn’t it stand to reason that someone was more than a little aware that the problem existed?
— Viral Mom (@viralmomtweets) July 3, 2016
There are beaches at eight Disney World hotels and at the For Wilderness campground. After the recent alligator attack, rope fences (with netting) were installed on all of them. In addition, all beaches are staffed by employees and close at night. The only exception is during fireworks.
To make it even safer, Disney World has put up “No Fishing” signs at several of its properties and fishing is now limited to excursions only. Unfortunately, many people still feel as though all of this is “too little, too late.”
On the day of the Disney alligator attack, Lane Graves was not playing in the water. He was simply standing near the water, in the sand. Rescue workers eventually located his body 15 yards from the shore, six feet under water.
Do you think the changes at Disney World are enough to prevent another alligator attack in the future? Would you feel safe staying at one of the beach resorts? Feel free to leave your feedback about the Disney alligator attack below.
[Photo by Spencer Platt/Getty Images]