Disney hit a snag with its latest installment in the Star Wars movie universe. The first film in a Star Wars anthology, Rogue One, was sent back for extensive reshoots. It has been speculated that about 40 percent of the movie will be reshot in order to give the movie a grittier tone.
The Independent UK reported that fans were left with more questions than answers when the news of the reshoot was released. One of the rumors revolving around Rogue One is that director Christopher McQuarrie, who directed Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation, was overseeing the reshoots. McQuarrie has denied any involvement in reshooting the latest Star Wars film.
“If there are any reshoots on Rogue One, I’m not supervising them. For any outlet to say so is not only wrong, it’s irresponsible. Gareth Edwards is a talented filmmaker who deserves the benefit of the doubt.”
— GameSpot (@gamespot) June 5, 2016
As previously reported in Inquisitr, Star Wars: Rogue One will provide flashbacks to the original characters that are part of the saga. One of the rumors currently circulating is that one of the characters in Rogue One is related to Star Wars: The Force Awakens character Rey.
Rogue One actually takes place between the third and fourth Star Wars movies, and the plot that was revealed said that the story revolves around the characters trying to steal the plans to the Death Star so the Rebels can destroy it. No word has been given yet by Disney to say what part the original characters will play in the new movie, although Darth Vader is expected to return.
Rumour has it, Star Wars Rogue One will end ten minutes before the events of A New Hope begins pic.twitter.com/G6Jv6rad1R
— Empire Cinemas (@EmpireCinemas) June 5, 2016
High level sources at LucasFilm have defended the reshoots. They are set to take about one month to complete. Reshoots normally occur towards the end of a completion of a film, and director Gareth Edwards said that reshoots are always booked to happen.
“The changes have everything to do with clarity and character development and all take place within scenes we’ve already shot.”
One spokesman for the film said that the movie didn’t require 40 percent of the film to be reshot.
“If we were rewriting the movie and reshooting 40 percent of movie, we would not be finishing in August. People really would be panicking – and changing the release date.”
— AndrewinBelfast (@AndrewinBelfast) June 4, 2016
The Hollywood Reporter reported that a renowned stunt coordinator has been brought in to help with the reshoots on Rogue One. Simon Crane has joined screenwriter Tony Gilroy to work on the lengthy reshoots that are required for the movie. The reshoots that are required will take place over the summer and should be completed by August.
Crane’s previous work has included crafting scenes in World War Z, which starred Brad Pitt. He also worked on Tom Cruise’s Edge of Tomorrow. Because of Crane’s involvement, it is believed that there will be extensive rework to many of the action scenes but not the battle scenes. Screenwriter Tony Gilroy previously worked on three of the Jason Bourne movies as well as the blockbuster Armageddon.
Star Wars: Rogue One has been described as a war movie. Although Star Wars: The Force Awakens grossed over $2 billion, Disney doesn’t expect Rogue One to have as large a take. Rogue One is set for a December, 2016, release. The Force Awakens was released in December of 2015, and Disney plans to release a new Star Wars film each year through 2020.
[Photo by Jesse Grant/Getty Images]