WWE Payback 2016 still feels fresh in the minds of the WWE Universe, and yet Extreme Rules is just over two weeks away. While Chris Jericho claimed Dean Ambrose was off of WWE SmackDown this week because of the beating the Lunatic Fringe received at the hands of Y2J, his friend Roman Reigns was in the spotlight again on Thursday night as he prepares for his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch against A.J. Styles. Of course, Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows — collectively, The Bullet Club — couldn’t stay away.
Cesaro, Sami Zayn, and Kevin Owens all made plays for The Miz and the IC Title, Colin Cassady confronted the Vaudevillains, and legendary WWF Champion Bob Backlund made his return to WWE television.
The full results for last night’s WWE SmackDown and the updated match-list for the WWE Extreme Rules 2016 card are below.
WWE Thursday Night SmackDown Results
The following includes all of the matches and televised segments from the episode of WWE Thursday Night SmackDown that the USA Network first aired on May 5. The episode was recorded in Kansas City, Missouri, on May 3.
- Chris Jericho kicked off the show with Sami Zayn on “The Highlight Reel.” It wasn’t long before the focus of the segment changed to the WWE Intercontinental Championship, as The Miz and Maryse got involved. Jericho eventually left the ring, while Zayn and The Miz set up a match.
- Sami Zayn defeated The Miz by disqualification after Kevin Owens interfered. Post-match, Cesaro saved Zayn and was the last man seen holding The Miz’s strap.
- Luke Gallows, Karl Anderson, and AJ Styles talk about “getting extreme” on Roman Reigns. Styles leaves the other two Bullet Club members to seek out the WWE World Heavyweight Champion.
- The Vaudevillains defeated The Social Outcasts (Curtis Axel and Bo Dallas). Post-match, Colin Cassady came to the ring and laid out both of the ‘Villains and then Curtis Axel as well.
- Natalya and Becky Lynch defeated WWE Women’s Champion Charlotte & Emma in tag team action. Sasha Banks appears to be lost in the shuffle these days.
- As Roman Reigns was talking to The Usos, AJ Styles finally caught up with him backstage. They both established that they’d be ringside for the tag team main event.
- Darren Young had a pre-recorded segment in which he starts a new gimmick alongside Bob Backlund. The WWE Hall of Famer agreed to be Young’s new wrestling/life coach and to help “make Darren Young great again.”
- Rusev defeated Zack Ryder in singles action. After the rather short match, Kalisto grew tired of Rusev mocking his “Lu-cha, Lu-cha” chants and attacked Lana’s man before he quickly exited the ring again.
- Backstage, Fandango is trying to teach Goldust some new dance moves when they are interrupted by the R-Truth and Tyler Breeze. Next week, we’ll see “Goldango vs. Gorgeous Truth” in tag team action.
- The Usos vs. The Bullet Club (Anderson and Gallows) ended in No Contest after both Roman Reigns and AJ Styles interfered. This resulted in a Six-Man Tag Match.
- The Usos and Roman Reigns defeated The Bullet Club (AJ Styles, Karl Anderson, and Luke Gallows) when Roman Reigns hit Karl Anderson with a spear. As WWE SmackDown went off the air, Reigns and Styles had a stare-down of seemingly mutual respect.
RELATED REPORTS BY THE INQUISITR
- ‘WWE NXT’ Results: Eric Young Debuts Against NXT Champion Samoa Joe
- WWE News: Who Are The ‘Bullet Club’ And Why Do They Matter?
- WWE News — ‘NXT TakeOver: Dallas’ (The Live Experience & Results)
- WWE Raw Ratings Find New Lows: Is Roman Reigns to Blame?
- WWE: ‘Total Divas’ Recap — Nikki Bella Rehabs Injury With John Cena [News]
Updated WWE Extreme Rules Card
WWE Extreme Rules is set for Sunday, May 22.
- Roman Reigns (c) vs. AJ Styles — WWE World Heavyweight Championship: Extreme Rules Match
- Charlotte (c) vs. Natalya — WWE Women’s Championship: Submission Match
- The New Day (c) vs. The Vaudvillains — WWE Tag Team Championship Match
- The Miz (c) vs. Cesaro vs. Sami Zayn vs. Kevin Owens — WWE Intercontinental Championship: Fatal 4-Way Match (unconfirmed)
- Kalisto (c) vs. Rusev — WWE United States Championship Match (unconfirmed)
- Becky Lynch vs. Emma (unconfirmed)
- Dean Ambrose vs. Chris Jericho (unconfirmed)
Unless otherwise noted, the matches above were confirmed on WWE’s official Extreme Rules preview page.
Where To Watch
USA airs WWE Thursday Night SmackDown weekly at 8/7c. Episodes of WWE SmackDown are made available to stream on-demand through the WWE Network several weeks after the episodes air on the USA Network. Replays of SmackDown are made available on-demand with a Hulu Plus subscription beginning Friday.
WWE Extreme Rules airs live on the WWE Network on Sunday, May 22 at 8/7c. The Extreme Rules Kick-off Show begins at 7/6c. On the WWE Network, WWE Payback 2016 is currently available to stream on-demand.
[Image via WWE]