Five-year-old Khloe Russell had been suffering from a runny nose for six months, with doctors totally baffled as to the cause of her mystery illness.
Young Khloe was diagnosed with everything from colds to sinus infections, with doctors prescribing antibiotic drugs, but to no avail. Her nose just kept on running. Her mother even took the young girl to the dentist just in case the problem was caused by an issue with her teeth, but this was also to no avail.
As reported by the Mirror, Khloe’s mother, Katelyn Powell of Hemet in California, grew concerned when the many doctor’s visits and treatments had failed to clear up the little girl’s mystery illness. Powell described the mucous coming from Khloe’s nose as “[g]reen, green, green constantly and it stunk.”
However, the cause of the mystery illness was finally revealed when Khloe blew her nose — and out popped a large safety pin.
Thank goodness this California girl is feeling much better! https://t.co/3OQgsPlGaz
— 100.9 The Valley (@TheValley1009) March 4, 2016
Reportedly, it was Katelyn’s brother who came up with the idea.
Powell told UPI, “My brother was like, ‘Your nose, it’s disgusting. Blow your nose, blow your nose.’ And she blows it and out comes the safety pin.”
Reportedly, the safety pin was almost 4 cm (1.5 in) long, and when it came out of Khloe’s nose, it was black and had partially disintegrated.
Powell said, “It was a huge object. It was bigger than her nose.”
“We were horrified. I was like, ‘Did you put this up there?’ She did, but she forgot to tell me.”
Since Powell has shared her story of the mystery illness and its solution, she has come under fire from people who suggest she could have been more careful with her child. Reportedly, she has been receiving nasty hate mail regarding her parenting skills with Khloe.
Among the comments received on the social media were posts that stated, “This child is old enough to let her mother know that she stuck something up her nose. This story is ridiculous.”
Another Facebook user said, “What parent would allow a 4 year old to play with safety pins. Good parenting guys!”
Little girl’s mystery illness solved when something unexpected comes out of her nose https://t.co/IcONy2X1i5 ^Mirror
— News, Views, People. (@NewsViewsPeople) March 4, 2016
Powell said she hopes people can understand that this kind of thing can happen to their children and that “it doesn’t make their children stupid for doing it or not saying anything after.”
According to Powell, the many doctors they had taken Khloe to visit about her mystery illness had looked up her nose and had found nothing.
She wrote on the social media, “Just so everyone knows, we did blow her nose constantly!”
Powell added that her daughter had found a safety pin and, kids being kids, had stuck it up her nose to see how far it would go. Khloe thought she had dropped the safety pin, not realizing it had lodged in her nose, thus launching the mystery illness.
Powell says she is sorry if anyone feels she didn’t do enough for her daughter, but the family did what the doctors told them was protocol prior to and after Khloe was examined by an ear, nose and throat specialist.
“I never would have imagined there was a safety pin up there and if I had we would have had it removed immediately,” Powell added.
Powell said in a recent Facebook post that Khloe is feeling much better since the safety pin came out of her nose and is “healing like a champ!”
In that post, she included a video segment broadcast on ABC about Khloe’s mystery illness and its final resolution after the safety pin was removed.