Hoboken Shooting Leaves One Dead In Grand Street Home

One person was shot to death overnight in a N.J. apartment Sunday, and no identity of the dead man has been revealed, police says.

The incident took place at an apartment on Grand Street just after 1 a.m, reports WPIX.

The Hudson County Prosecutor’s office is investigating the case, while Hoboken Police Chief Kenneth Ferrante told NJ Advance Media that a 911 call regarding “cardiac arrest” was recorded at the Grand Street address during the same time of the shooting.

However, the police chief refuses to confirm that the shooting had taken place, and refers any further inquiries to be made to the Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office. The prosecutor’s office did not return calls, reports CBS2.

Reports also say that the authorities have not released any information regarding the motive for the shooting, and it’s still unclear if any arrests were made regarding Hoboken shooting.

No identity regarding the victim has been announced yet. However, he has been pronounced dead at the place where he was shot by EMS. The victim’s body was removed from his single-family home by the city medical examiner just before 5 a.m.

This is the first case of a homicide in Hoboken in three years. The last time was in 2013, when a 46-year-old homeless man was beaten to death in a so-called “knockout game” by three teens. All of them were charged in his death.

The news comes only a week after the death of another Hoboken resident, Matthew Genovese, who was pulled out of the Hoboken waterfront Tuesday afternoon by the NYPD.

“Hoboken Police Chief Ken Ferrante said at about 3:15 p.m. that a body had been pulled from the Hudson River about an hour and a half before. But he declined to comment on whether there was a connection to the 24-year-old Hoboken man who went missing Saturday night after leaving a local bar, or anything else,” NJ.com revealed.

The investigation of the death is still continued. However, the officials released a statement last Friday saying that there are no indication of “foul play” so far.

“It is important to understand that in this case and in all past cases of entry into the Hudson River from Hoboken over the years, there have been no indications of foul play in any instance,” city officials said in a statement. “Every case has been determined to be accidental or voluntary entries into the river.”

The man was last seen at a local pub with friends that night. He left the pub for home at 11:30 p.m., according to his friends, but his body was found in the Hudson River on Tuesday afternoon.

A similar case of 27-year-old Andrew Jarzyk was reported on March 30, 2014, where he was last seen jogging late at night. His body was later found in the Hudson River.

Additionally, officials said, security cameras can help with an investigation but “unfortunately cannot save lives.”

“The city is conducting a review of the camera system to determine where additional cameras might be appropriate,” the officials said, “and helpful for future investigations.”

“Our deepest sympathies are with the Genovese family as they mourn the loss of their loved one, Matthew, a young Hoboken resident at the prime of his life. The Hoboken Police Department did everything possible to locate Matthew when he was reported missing by his family,” they added.

The State Medical Examiner’s Office believes the causes of death can be “by accidental drowning, and in some cases drowning aided by intoxication.”

[Image via CBS2 Video]