Outpouring of grief, regret at Jackson’s death
Reactions to the death of Michael Jackson have begun to hit the media, and speculation surrounding Jackson’s cause of death are beginning to surface as well.
Jackson family friend and lawyer Brian Oxman spoke out on CNN, expressing his shock at Jackson’s death but implying that it was neither unlikely nor unexpected. Oxman hinted that Jackson’s situation was far worse than that of Anna Nicole Smith and stated cryptically, “where there’s smoke, there’s fire.” Oxman also said that Smith’s situation was nothing compared to the level of enabling and drug abuse that he believes lead to Jackson’s shocking death.
Jackson was said to be training hard for a series of comeback concerts with Lou Ferrigno. TMZ posted a statement from ex-publicist Michael Levine:
“As someone who served as Michael Jackson’s publicist during the 1st child molestation incident, I must confess I am not surprised by today’s tragic news.
Michael has been on an impossibly difficult and often self-destructive journey for years. His talent was unquestionable but so too was his discomfort with the norms of the world.
A human simply can not withstand this level of prolonged stress.”
Celebrity fans were more mournful and less speculative, as seen in this series of tweets posted on TMZ:
- Ludacris: If it were not for Micheal Jackson I would not be where or who I am today.His Music and Legacy will live on Forever.Prayers to the famR.I.P.
- MC Hammer: I have no words.. I loved Michael Jackson.. RIP..
- Kelly Rowland: Michael you left such a legacy on this earth, have touched SO MANY!!! We thank you for such a driving inspiration in music & our lives!! This has got to be one of the saddest days in music history!! Michael Rest In Peace! WE miss you!
- Star Jones: Death comes to all. But great achievements build a monument.” He IS and WAS the greatest entertainer of all times…Peace to you brother.
- Lindsay Lohan: NO OMG … sending my love and prayers out to Michael and his family … i feel sick..
- Marlon Wayans: My prayers, my love, my heart goes out to michael jackson and the entire jackson family. I pray so hard for them. I’m crushed! Please pray.
- Pete Wentz: Prayers and thoughts with michael jackson … I haven’t hope in so long that news isn’t true.
- Kim Kardashian: Wow I am truly in shock that Michael Jackson has passed away! I love u Jackson family, my prayers are with the whole family!
- Ashton Kutcher: Rip Sending love and light to family and friend but especially his kids.
- Shanna Moakler: The hard thing about getting older is watching all those who inspired you pass, love to the jackson family.
CNN reports that the LA coroner could establish a cause of death as early as tomorrow.