Donald Trump may look back at 2015 with a sense of accomplishment. Since announcing his candidature for the President of the United States on June 16, 2015, from his headquarters in Trump Tower in New York City, Trump’s popularity has seen a remarkable rise. As it stands, Donald Trump is well ahead of his rivals with 39 percent support among Republican voters and GOP-leaning independents, according to CNN poll, and is poised to be the Republican presidential candidate come 2016.
His rivals have often sought to find reasons for Donald Trump’s domination in the national polls — blaming everything from the media to Trump’s “politics of fear” for his abiding popularity — but nobody has really been able to pinpoint why Trump is fast becoming the preferred choice of the Republican-leaning masses in the country. Perhaps it is to do with his politically incorrect and volatile statements, or his vociferous need to have an opinion on all and sundry, or his strangely charismatic persona — that elusive component that makes a politician tick — but the fact of the matter is, over the course of the last several months, Trump has emerged as a realistic option in the race for American presidency.
In those months, Donald Trump has made a series of remarks that have baffled, offended, captivated, angered, tickled — all in equal measure. May it be his sexist assault on Fox News host Megyn Kelly, or his allegedly xenophobic remarks about Muslims, Trump has rarely shied away from expressing his opinions in the most unambiguous terms. In this article, I list five of the most controversial Donald Trump quotes from 2015, along with some special mentions. Take your pick.
- Perhaps the most controversial remark Trump has made in recent times is his widely-criticized view on Muslims. In the aftermath of the San Bernardino shootings that saw 14 people killed, Trump invited the wrath of the world by claiming that he would certainly set up a database for Muslims if he became president. When asked if he would approve surveillance on mosques during an interview with Yahoo News, Trump answered in the affirmative.
“Until we are able to determine and understand this problem and the dangerous threat it poses, our country cannot be the victims of horrendous attacks by people that believe only in Jihad, and have no sense of reason or respect for human life.”
“We’re going to have to do things that we never did before. And some people are going to be upset about it, but I think that now everybody is feeling that security is going to rule. We’re going to have to look at a lot of things very closely.”
Of course, Trump was widely criticized, or in internet’s slang, royally trolled for his views.
Trump: I'm okay with golf playing Muslims. pic.twitter.com/QtNrj3KZpj
— ian bremmer (@ianbremmer) December 8, 2015
Just because Trump is detestable moron doesnt mean he isnt also sinister and dangerous. https://t.co/qIlZe9xODU
— Simon Schama (@simon_schama) December 7, 2015
- While the above statement allegedly showed Donald Trump’s “xenophobic tendencies,” when it comes to making insensitive and rather derogatory remarks about women, the Donald is the absolute king. The first and perhaps the most prominent instance of Trump’s blatant sexism is when he chided Fox News host Megyn Kelly, after she had confronted him about his views on women during a Republican debate.
“I do not have a lot of respect for Megyn Kelly. She is a lightweight. I don’t like her. She is very overrated. You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes,” Trump told CNN’s Don Lemon later. “Blood coming out of her wherever.”
Again, the Donald was roundly criticized, but Trump never apologized and continued to berate Kelly for her apparent “lack of journalism ethics.”
.@megynkelly must have had a terrible vacation, she is really off her game. Was afraid to confront Dr. Cornel West. No clue on immigration!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 25, 2015
- Now the next Trump quote does not even require a context. This is something Donald Trump said about Carly Fiorina, a fellow Presidential candidate.
“Look at that face. Would anybody vote for that? Can you imagine that, the face of our next president?! I mean, she’s a woman, and I’m not supposed to say bad things, but really, folks, come on. Are we serious?”
- And while we are at it, Donald Trump’s remarks about Democratic Party candidate Hillary Clinton will not go amiss here. There are too many Trump quotes to choose from, and so I have decided to mention almost everything controversial Trump has said about Clinton which, by the way, includes literally everything. The first comment was not made by Trump himself, but a tweet which received the Donald’s approval.
— Lenny Jacobson (@Lennyjacobson) April 17, 2015
And then there was this recent statement where Trump said Clinton got “schlonged” by Obama in 2008. For those of you who might know, “schlong” is a Yiddish word for penis.
“Even her race to Obama, she was gonna beat Obama. I don’t know who would be worse, I don’t know, how could it be worse? But she was going to beat — she was favored to win — and she got schlonged, she lost, I mean she lost.”
About the same time, while talking about Clinton’s delayed return to the stage during last week’s Democratic debate, Donald Trump said he knew exactly where Clinton had gone.
“What happened to her? I’m watching the debate, and she disappeared. I know where she went, it’s disgusting, I don’t want to talk about it. No, it’s too disgusting. Don’t say it, it’s disgusting, let’s not talk, we want to be very, very straight up.”
When Hillary Clinton responded to the remark by saying that Trump had a “penchant for sexism,” this is the tweet that the Donald sent out.
Hillary, when you complain about "a penchant for sexism," who are you referring to. I have great respect for women. BE CAREFUL!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 23, 2015
- Last but not the least, Donald Trump has recently been called a “Putin propagandist” for his apparent “bromance” with Russian president Vladimir Putin.
“He has not killed anyone. I would get along, I think, with Putin.”
Needless to add, one can hardly ever list all the controversial, and very-near confrontational, Trump quotes that have been uttered by the Donald over the course of the year. The video below attempts to compile some of Trump’s best — and funny — quotes from 2015, courtesy of The Wrap.
And before I wrap up, these are few of Donald Trump’s quotes which I think deserve special mentions, courtesy of E! Online.
Trump on having Hillary Clinton at his wedding.
“That’s true. Excuse me, Jeb. I was a businessman. I got along with Clinton. I got along with everyone. That was my job, to get along with everybody.”
And here is the Donald on never attacking Rand Paul’s looks.
“I never attacked him on his looks and believe me, there’s a lot of subject matter there.”
And of course his view on not accepting Special Interests donations.
“I promise if I would’ve wanted it, I would’ve got it…Last week I turned down $5 million.”
And perhaps the only instance where he said he did not know all of America’s enemies. What about ISIS, Sir Donald?
“Name after name—Arab name, Arab name, Arab name—and there are few people anywhere that would have known those names. I think he was reading them off the sheet.”
If there are any more Donald Trump quotes from 2015 that you think I might have missed and deserves to be on the list, don’t forget to mention it in the comments section below.