Warning: Graphic Content
Two men, who robbed a disabled man recorded the violent assault on his cellphone and then posted the video on the victim’s Facebook page, have been arrested and will face charges, according to Oakland County Sheriff’s Office.
The video, which has gone viral since it was uploaded on Facebook, has drawn strong reactions from sections of the police, as well as thousands of people on social media. The perpetrators have been labeled everything from “spineless cowards” to “lunatics,” with many asking that the two men should face the maximum prison sentence for attacking a disabled man.
The name of the victim, a 23-year-old man with cerebral palsy, has not been released publicly to keep his identity safe, the police said. The incident took place at the disabled man’s apartment complex Sunday morning in Pontiac, about 30 miles from Detroit.
In the video which you can see above, courtesy of Inside Nation, the victim can be seen in a stairwell with his hands balled into fists, apparently in self-defense. According to Oakland County authorities, the disabled man was pursuing the two men after they robbed him off his cellphone.
One of the men can then be seen kicking the disabled man in the groin and, when he falls to the ground, the attacker can be heard calling out to his companion: “Record it. Hold on, record it.”
When the victim became unconscious after being ravaged by a flurry of punches and kicks, the attackers still continued to assault the disabled man, reports the Washington Post.
In a statement Sheriff Michael Bouchard released Monday morning following the arrests of the two men, he branded the attackers as “cowards,” emphasizing that the police were at a loss to understand as to why the two men would go on to boast about their disgusting act on social media.
“Preying on those in our community who suffer from disabilities will not be tolerated and furthermore, to have the audacity to post their actions on the victim’s page is beyond belief.”
Now, the two Michigan men have been charged with three felony counts, including assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder, home invasion, and unarmed robbery. If Walker and Bey are convicted on all three charges, they could face a maximum 20 years in prison, said Paul Walton, chief assistant prosecutor in Oakland County.
The two men were arraigned Tuesday in 50th District Court in Pontiac and are being held on $25,000 bond, according to booking records.
The Oakland County authorities revealed that both men had criminal pasts, including felony larceny, trespassing, possession of stolen goods, and possession of a controlled substance, according to reports.
Worryingly, this is not the first time in recent times that attackers have uploaded their assault videos on Facebook. Back in November, the Inquisitr had reported about a Texas man who had been jailed for six years after posting an assault video in which he was seen punching a 79-year-old black man.
In his defense, which was not considered strong enough by the prosecutors, the man had said that he had recorded the assault as part of a “social experiment prank.”
It is not yet known if the two men had attorneys.
[Image via Oakland County Sheriff’s Office]