Boston Marathon Bomber Wants New Trial

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the Boston Marathon bomber, feels that his trial was sabotaged because jurors were not impartial when arranging him in Boston earlier in the year. On Monday, Tsarnaev’s defense layer said in a court filing that Tsarnaev deserves a new trial in a new location where jurors will be impartial.

According to CBS, the Boston Marathon bomber wants a new trial because after the deadly 2013 attack the jurors could not be objective when finding him guilty and suggesting the death penalty. Tsarnaev’s lawyer used a list of public events that were held in honor of the victims, including a new city holiday and races held in their honor, as evidence of “continuous and unrelenting publicity” surround the Boston bombers case.

The filing said,

“Put simply, prejudicial media coverage, events and environment saturated greater Boston, including the social networks of actual trial jurors, and made it an improper venue for the trial of this case.”

The filing ended, stating that Tsarnaev’s constitutional right to an impartial trial was polluted. They now want the guilty verdict overturned and have a new trial set to determine the Boston Marathon bombers guilt and penalty.

“A new trial in a different venue is required due to continuous and unrelenting publicity combined with pervasive connections between jurors and the events surrounding the Boston Marathon bombing that precluded impartial adjudication in both appearance and fact.”

During Tsarnaev’s trial, his lawyer argued that the Boston Marathon bomber didn’t deserve the death sentence because, as they claim, Tsarnaev’s older brother Tamerlan was the brains behind the bombing attack, according to People.

In 2013 Tsarnaev helped place homemade bombs at the Boston Marathon finish line, with the help of his older brother Tamerlan who was killed in a shootout with the police after the bombing. The bombing killed three people and injured over 260 people. Earlier this year the Boston Marathon bomber was convicted of 30 federal charges and was sentenced to death after the recommendation from the jury.

After the conviction was handed down, Tsarnaev made his first public remarks about the Boston Marathon bombing and apologized to the victims and families.

“I am sorry for the lives that I have taken, for the suffering that I have caused you, for the damage, the irreparable damage.”

No news has surfaced if the Boston Marathon bomber will get a re-trial with a new jury and new location or if a judge will choose to leave his conviction as is.

[Images courtesy of Getty Images]