Eel Electrocutes Alligator: Alligator Bites Off More Than He Can Chew, ‘Electrocution’ Footage Goes Viral [Video]

A shocking clip of an alligator’s recent attack has gone viral. Although most would automatically assume the alligator devoured its prey, apparently this alligator definitely bit off more than he could chew because it actually got killed during the vicious attack.

The two-minute YouTube video begins with the alligator focusing on its prey. The alligator can be seen slowly creeping toward the smaller fish. While the presumably defenseless animal appeared to be an excellent target, there’s one thing the alligator was totally unaware of — electric eels should not be underestimated. and they are also considered predators. Unfortunately for the alligator, it didn’t learn that until sinking its teeth into the electric eel.

When the powerful electric shocks swept through the alligator’s body, the first thought may have been to withdraw, but it was already too late. At about the 30-second mark, almost immediately after biting the eel, the alligator is shocked and electrocuted.

After nearly a full minute, the alligator’s lifeless body stiffens. Although it moves slightly toward the end of the video, the description confirms that the alligator did die as a result of the fatal attack. Over the weekend, the video, which was originally uploaded in 2010, began circulating on several social media platforms yet again. Thousands of viewers have been captivated by the shocking footage. However, the outcome actually isn’t very surprising.

Electric eels are very powerful and have the ability to release high volts of electricity that can be potentially fatal, National Geographic reports.

“These famous freshwater predators get their name from the enormous electrical charge they can generate to stun prey and dissuade predators. Their bodies contain electric organs with about 6,000 specialized cells called electrocytes that store power like tiny batteries. When threatened or attacking prey, these cells will discharge simultaneously, emitting a burst of at least 600 volts, five times the power of a standard U.S. wall socket.”

Any species that messes with an electric eel should definitely think twice because the consequences could be fatal.

[Image via YouTube Screen Capture]