A 13-year-old boy in Washington state is facing felony rape charges for sexually assaulting a 7-year-old girl. According to the New York Daily News, the charges follow numerous alleged assaults that occurred on a school bus in the Chimacum School District last year.
It has been reported that the young victim informed her aunt about the sexual abuse. She was reportedly taken to a physician where she recounted feeling “angry” and “confused” about the abuse. During an interview with KING-5, the girl’s aunt — who asked to only be identified as “Rose” to conceal the child’s identity — recounted her niece’s feelings as a result of the heinous attack.
“When we got to the doctor I found out,” Rose said. “I’m still trying to wrap my head around it. I think somebody needs to figure out where they went wrong so that no other child has to go through this.”
The physician ultimately reported the incidents to the local police. The sheriff’s department reportedly launched an investigation back in March and initially recommended that the boy be charged with “child rape in the first degree, child molestation in the first degree, and indecent liberties,” but he was ultimately charged with three felony counts of first-degree rape.
Although the boy is facing felony charges, there is a cap on the amount of time he’ll serve due to his age. During a recent interview, prosecuting attorney Michael Haas, detailed the charges the boy is facing.
According to Peninsula Daily News, the maximum sentence for a juvenile facing three counts of rape is approximately 108 weeks, which equates to a maximum of two-and-a-half years in prison.
“In this type of case, where the charges are so serious and the suspect is so young, we want to make sure we are doing everything as accurately as possible and evaluate the facts as best we can. It’s important that he has an attorney to protect his rights,” Haas said. “In the prosecution we also need to consider the rights of others, any other kids who could be subject to future violations by this person.”
The story has garnered national attention for many reasons. While many readers are appalled about the obviously disturbing incident, many questioned how the attack could have taken place on a school bus with other children present. As previously reported on Inquisitr, the boy was immediately expelled from school, but some readers argue that the bus driver should be held accountable because the alleged assaults occurred on the bus.
The boy is scheduled to make his first appearance in juvenile court on July 15.
[Photo by Mario Tama/Getty Images]