Couple Charged With Murder For Diluting 10-Week-Old Daughter’s Breast Milk

A Georgia couple has been arrested and charged with murder for the death of their 10-week-old daughter. According to the Atlanta Journal Constitution, Herbert George Landell, 26, and his girlfriend, Lauren Heather Fristed, 25, are accused of “diluting (her) breast milk with water, causing the victim to ingest too much water.”

Watering down the milk actually stripped it of its nutrients. However, that’s not all. When the baby took sick, they initially opted not to seek immediate medical attention, citing religious beliefs. Unfortunately, by the time they did decide to take the child to a local hospital, it was already too late.

Nevaeh Marie Landell reportedly suffered water intoxication that caused brain swelling. The baby was pronounced dead at the Gwinnett Medical Center on March 25.

The Gwinnett County Police Department released a statement about the baby’s death. The horrific incident led to further investigation, which revealed a number of other issues that may have also contributed to the baby’s untimely death. When the couple’s apartment was searched, local authorities deemed the home “unsanitary,” reports the Gwinnett Daily Post.

“The ingestion of too much water caused the victim’s electrolyte and sodium levels to drop… and caused water intoxication that led to swelling in the victim’s brain.”

“She was presented to the Gwinnett Medical Center grossly underweight. Follow up investigation revealed that Nevaeh was not properly fed or clothed. Inspection of their apartment revealed unsanitary conditions and lacked adequate sustenance for the infant.”

It has also been reported that the child never received any type of medical attention. If Fristed had been able to give birth naturally, authorities believe she would not have opted to have the child in a hospital, reports 11 Alive.

On Wednesday, April 29, Landell and Fristed were charged with felony murder, first- and second-degree cruelty to children, and aggravated battery by depriving for the death of their daughter on March 25.

[Image(s) via Gwinnett County Police Department]