The world watched in what could be considered as unexpected amazement on Friday night, as Bruce Jenner sat down for his tell-all interview with Diane Sawyer. The 65-year-old Olympian revealed a lot and told so many things about who he is as a person and who he will be. Now, he considers himself a woman and has let the world know so much more.
”Yes, for all intents and purposes I am a woman,” Jenner said.
“People look at me differently. They see you as this ‘macho male,’ but my heart and my soul and everything I do in life, it is part of me, that female side is part of me. It’s who I am. I was not genetically born that way.”
Now, let it be known that Bruce Jenner has not publicly identified himself as a woman. That is the reason that so many reports are still using the terms “he” or “him,” and also still referring to him as Bruce.
It’s time to focus on what was revealed during Bruce Jenner’s interview and see 11 things learned from the big tell-all, as Rolling Stone pointed out.
1. Jenner’s first wife, Chrystie Scott, was the first person he told about the changes he wanted to make in life.
2. Bruce is heterosexual – “I was never was attracted to the guys..the sexuality was totally different from what I’m dealing with…I’m not gay. As far as I know, I’m heterosexual. I’ve never been with a guy.”
3. Bruce’s transition began in the ’80s – “I would walk off the stage and I would feel like a liar. and i would literally go up to my room and change clothes and walk around [as a woman].”
4. When his mother found out about everything, she asked if it was her fault. Bruce calmly let her know that “it’s just the way I am, the way I was born, and it’s going to be OK.”
5. None of this was done as just a “publicity stunt.” Bruce Jenner could care less, but since he always has been in the spotlight, he did the interview to let the world know what was going on.
6. Throughout 425 episodes filmed of Keeping Up With the Kardashians, he kept all of this a secret.
7. Speaking of the Kardashians, the most accepting of the family has been that of Kim Kardashian. Once Bruce told her that these changes will help him be “true to himself,” she has been very accepting.
8. On the other hand, Khloe Kardashian has not been having such an easy time with it all – “She’s very emotional. She’s had the toughest time with it. Because she’s had a lot of losses in her life. She lost her father at a young age. He died suddenly, cancer. You know, Lamar [Odom] had his issues.”
9. Bruce Jenner is indeed a Republican and not a big fan of President Barack Obama.
10. Suicide is something that Bruce Jenner has considered in his life and states that many times it was due to hard and rough encounters with the paparazzi. He actually thought sometimes that suicide would be “the easiest thing.”
11. This was the last interview he will ever give as Bruce Jenner. His new name has not been revealed yet, but did refer to his true identity as “her.”
After the interview with Diane Sawyer, there is no more Bruce Jenner. This interview marks the end of that portion of the Olympian’s life and a new journey is officially going to begin. Well, it will continue for him, but it will begin for his presence in the rest of the world as he transitions fully into life as a woman.
[Photo by Isaac Brekken/Getty Images]