Michael Palmer: Former Texas Police Chief And Alleged Child Rapist Found Dead Days Before Trial

Michael Palmer, former police chief for the West Columbia Police Department, was recently found dead on Thursday, April 9. His death came just days before he was scheduled to stand trial.

According to the Houston Chronicle, Palmer was reportedly facing multiple charges for the aggravated sexual assault of a child and tampering with evidence. It has been reported that he was found in the backyard of his home and paramedics were unable to revive him. Although Palmer’s cause of death has not officially been released, it has been rumored that he committed suicide. The Galveston County medical examiner’s office will be performing an autopsy to provide specific details about the nature of Palmer’s death.

According to Click 2 Houston, an extensive investigation led to the child sex charges and Palmer’s arrest. Investigators reportedly found incriminating items in Palmer’s home that suggested he’d repeatedly bound, gagged, and sexually assaulted a 7-year-old boy. A number of items commonly used for bondage were also confiscated from Palmer’s office at the police headquarters.

The vicious assault reportedly began in 1998 and went on for years. Before the child sex charges, Palmer was fired from the police department after he allegedly stole pain relievers that were confiscated during police investigations. Palmer wasn’t indicted for the crimes until 2013. After the evidence was discovered, Palmer fled but was found days later by local law enforcement and Equusearch volunteers, reports KWTX.

Palmer’s death has garnered an overwhelming amount of attention from social media users and readers who have come across the story on several news outlets. Unfortunately, not many have expressed sympathy over Palmer’s death. While many readers have criticized Palmer for being a “coward,” others have brashly insisted that justice has been served.

Do you think Michael Palmer’s death denotes justice served? Share your thoughts.

[Image(s) via West Columbia Police Department; Galveston County Sheriff’s Office]