Death By Hoodie: Teen Accidentally Choked Himself To Death On Garden Gate

In a tragic accident, which was described by police as “rare and freakish,” a 17-year-old accidentally hanged himself when the drawstring of his hoodie got caught on the latch of his garden gate.

Adam Cullen is said to have died within a few seconds after the bow got caught on the gate. His family discovered the body outside their home in Nottingham, UK.

At the Nottingham Coroner’s Court yesterday, Adam was described as a “very happy and fulfilled young man,” and no foul play is suspected in the death.

One of the detectives who investigated the case, Inspector Elizabeth Rogers, told the Nottingham Coroner’s Court about the freak accident.

“The fashion is currently to have [the hoodie strings] tied in a bow at the neck. Adam and his friends were all wearing their hoodies like that.”

At the same time, Nottinghamshire Coroner Mairin Casey said, “What appears to have happened is that after he had entered the gate of this property, he’s either tripped or – because he was unwell – fainted in some way. In the most rare and freakish event the string of his hoodie caught the latch of quite a high gate, which is about six or seven feet tall.”

The post-mortem noted that Adam died by asphyxiation caused by hanging.

The recorder spoke about the verdict of accidental death.

“This is a most unusual situation and probably even more especially tragic on account of this. He was a popular, healthy and happy young man with a fulfilled life, close family and very close friends. His death has left an enormous gaping hole in his community and school environment – all have expressed positive feelings and memories about Adam.”

Adam Cullen was known for being a popular and friendly boy, and his tragic and untimely death has left a hole in the lives of many people.

[Image Credit:]

Share this article: Death By Hoodie: Teen Accidentally Choked Himself To Death On Garden Gate
More from Inquisitr