Mother Finds Hundreds Of The World’s Deadliest Spider In Store-Bought Bananas

store-bought bananas infested with deadly spider

A British mother of two made a chilling discovery when she went to get a fruit snack for her six-year-old daughter. Nested inside a bunch of supermarket bananas were Brazilian wandering spiders, whose venom can give a man an excruciating four-hour erection before killing him.

The spider’s nest reportedly contained hundreds of eggs with the world’s deadliest arachnids, which seemed to have been shipped in the bananas from Costa Rica to the shelves of Tesco supermarket.

According to Maria Layton, “My husband bought the bananas from Tesco, they had been in the house a whole day before I ripped the bag open.”

“Siri [my daughter] asked for a banana. The first banana had a funny bit on it, so I got another one for her and that was when I found the massive spider cocoon. There was a spider web on the other bananas too.

I recognized it because I remembered seeing a news story about them, so when I saw the cocoon it rang a bell and I thought I should check it so I Googled it.

I went through the images and there was an image which looked very similar to mine.

I was so scared — I don’t like spiders at the best of times, but have read about the Brazilian wandering spiders and was very frightened about the potential threat.”

store-bought bananas infested with deadly spider

The Telegraph reports that the instant Maria found the cocoon of deadly spiders, their eggs started to hatch — so she quickly put them in the freezer in a sealed container and called Tesco’s customer service.

“The spider cocoon started to unfurl so I put it in a sealed box and put it in the freezer as I read that that is supposed to kill them,” Maria explained.

“I’m glad it was me rather than Siri that opened the bananas, I think the spiders are more likely to bite small children rather than older people,” she added.

The Brazilian wandering spider, whose Greek name means “murderess”, is the world’s most venomous spider. Its bite can kill a person in just two hours — with children being especially vulnerable — and a man can suffer longer with a painful four-hour erection before his death.


Upon informing Tesco of the shocking and potentially deadly discovery, Maria was told by customer service to bring the bananas back to the store — venomous spiders and all — so she could get a refund.

“Tesco were a bit useless, I was really concerned about the possibility of this dangerous spider and spider eggs in my house and really wanted some helpful advice on how to act,” the 43-year-old mother explained.

“I wasn’t sure if other spiders or eggs had escaped when I ripped the bag open.

I posted the picture on Tesco Facebook page and they told me to send the wrapper in so they could get the bar-code to refund me.

I was shocked, they failed to see the potential threat to me and my family and thought I was only interested in having a pound or so back.

I called Food Standards but they said it wasn’t anything to do with them, I called Trading Standards but they were shut.

I spent an hour-and-a-half ringing round trying to get some help — while I had this potentially killer spider in the house.”

Despite the obvious and necessary worry for the safety of her home, Tesco did not see the need to take responsibility for the deadly spiders being in their product.

According to a spokesperson for the company, “Our policy is for the customer to take the product to the store where it can be investigated.”

“We don’t have a service whereby someone can go out to the home.”

[Image via SWNS/Daily Mail]