Coast Guard Rescues Father And Son: Crews Face Dangerous Storm To Save Stranded Pair [Video]

The U.S. Coast Guard rescued a father and son in “near hurricane-force winds,” saving them 150 miles south of Nantucket, Massachusetts.

In an NBC News report describing the father and son’s circumstances, the two were stranded after a large storm tore off their ship’s sails.

The 43-foot ship named Sedona lost all power in the midst of the violent winter climate. A beacon signal from Sedona went off around 4:50 a.m. Sunday that reached the First Coast Guard District command center in Boston. Their boat had lost power, but they were able to communicate with the command center via satellite phone. Officials say that a Cape Cod Coast Guard air station dispatched a MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter crew that made it to the Sedona in about four hours. The vessel was discovered in 25-foot seas, according to the report.

The Coast Guard was able to rescue the father and son by hoisting them from the water onto the helicopter in 60 mph winds. Once they returned to safety, they were taken to the air station in Cape Cod for medical examination. No injuries were reported.

Blizzard conditions and relentless wind storms have hammered the New England region all weekend.

Coast Guard spokesman, Lt. J.G. Tyler Dewechter, is glad they were able to save the two sailors who were willing to brave the dangerous elements.

“Given the severity of this storm, this rescue was a major effort and we are all relieved it ended as it did. We are glad we were prepared for this storm and could render aid.”

According to Herald Sun, the father-son team are Australian and have been identified as Reg McGlashan and Jason McGlashan.

Jason purchased the Sedona in Rhode Island and was on a long journey home to Port Macquarie with his father when they got stranded. Jason spoke with The Newport Daily just last week and told them he expected the sail home to take about eight weeks.

Prior to the U.S. Coast Guard rescuing the father and son duo, their plan was to go towards Bermuda before setting sail southeast to the “tip” of South Africa and across the Indian Ocean to Australia.

“We’ve got plenty of food, plenty of booze, good sails and all the safety gear you could ever need, so we’re going to be OK,” Jason told Newport Daily.

The two men plan to be back home “as soon as possible.”

[Photo Credit: USCG via Echo Net Daily]