Woman Wakes Just Four Hours Before Her Life Support Machine Was Scheduled To Be Turned Off

A 56-year-old wife, mother and grandmother was in a coma for 12 days after being stricken by streptococcal toxic shock syndrome. With Teri Roberts showing no signs of improvement, her limbs turning black and her organs beginning to fail, her family had made the tough decision to turn her life support machines off. However, Teri had other plans. Just four hours before the ventilator was scheduled to be turned off, Teri woke from her coma and slowly opened her eyes.

The NY Daily News reports that Teri’s family had come to grips with the fact that the woman they loved was going to die. Her organs were failing and her limbs had began to turn black. Therefore, the family made the heartbreaking decision to go ahead and turn Teri’s life support machines off. However, after making the tough decision, a “miracle” happened. Teri’s son recounts how his mother “magically woke up.”

“She just magically woke up. Literally four hours before we moved to take her off life support.”

The Daily Mail notes that Teri is still facing a very real battle following her awakening.The sudden onset of the bacterial infection led to her body sacrificing all four of her limbs in order to save her organs. With Teri no longer in a coma, she was forced to make an unthinkable decision, did she want to live without her hands and feet. The answer was yes and Teri agreed to a quadruple amputation.

Though her life will most certainly be different following the amputations, Teri is not letting it get her down. In fact, Teri says she plans to walk and drive again. Teri’s son says that the family had “given up” on Teri, but she didn’t give up on herself.

“I gave up on my mom, and she didn’t give up on herself.”

However, Teri’s family notes that there is one reason that the family opted to turn off the life support machines instead of going through with the amputations prior to her awakening. The family had experienced a previous tragedy in 2013 when their 33-year-old daughter, Andrea Kruger, was brutally murdered. The family knew that if Teri passed away she would be able to reunite with her daughter in heaven. They had seen Teri suffer through the bacterial infection and wanted peace for her with her daughter.


Dr. McCarville from the Methodist Hospital in Omaha, Nebraska that treated Teri noted, “Most people don’t live into it as long as Teri did.” He says that her limbs turned black and developed gangrene, her face often contorted in pain, blisters started to erupt all over her body and her kidneys and liver began to fail. Doctors are still trying to determine how Teri developed streptococcal toxic shock syndrome, a condition that is typically seen in younger tampon users.

With many medical issues still weighing on Teri’s body, she is in high spirits. Teri says she is just finally letting people catch up to her.

“She’s regained liver and kidney function and her body has continued to heal. Teri’s response to [her amputations] was, ‘I’m just letting the other people finally catch up to me!'”

The Inquisitr previously reported on a boy who woke from a coma after 12 years.