Who doesn’t love hot chocolate? Delicious on its own or as an ingredient in sumptuous desserts like cookies and cakes, this time-honored winter treat is a favorite with kids and adults alike. While these spiked hot chocolate drinks aren’t suitable for children, they’re relaxing alternatives to traditional hot toddies.
Whether you’re entertaining friends or spending a quiet evening by the fire, you’ll find these fantastic adult hot chocolate recipes are perfectly simple and delicious.
This classic hot chocolate recipe from Life’s Ambrosia calls for sprinkles, but you can change things up with candy canes if you like.
— Country Living (@CountryLiving) December 23, 2014
- 2 cups of milk
- 1/2 cup of hot chocolate mix
- 1/4 cup of peppermint schnapps, plus more as needed
- whipped cream, for topping
- sprinkles, for topping
1. In a saucepan, heat 2 cups of milk over medium heat, just until steamy, about 5 minutes.
2. Once milk starts to steam, whisk in hot chocolate mix. Continue cooking two to three minutes, or until hot chocolate is desired temperature. Do not boil.
3. Remove from heat and whisk in 1/4 cup of peppermint schnapps. Add more if desired.
4. Ladle mixture into glasses, and top with whipped cream and sprinkles.
Salted Caramel Vodka Hot Chocolate
This delightful recipe from London Bakes calls for milk and dark chocolate. Don’t have them on hand? Make your hot cocoa from a mix and add the extras just before enjoying. Try garnishing this little bit of heaven with a drizzle of caramel for even more appeal.
— Miss Shirley’s Cafe (@MissShirleys) December 19, 2014
- 2 cups milk
- 3 ounces of dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
- Generous pinch sea salt
- 1 ounce of caramel vodka
- 1 tablespoon of heavy cream
1. Heat the milk in a small saucepan on the stove until it’s just about to boil.
2. Take it off the heat and add the chocolate and the salt. Stir with a wooden spoon until all the chocolate has melted and the mixture has thickened. The smaller your chocolate, the easier this will be.
3. Add more salt to taste.
4. When all the chocolate has melted, stir in the vodka and the double cream.
5. Pour into mugs, and top with some whipped cream if you want. Enjoy.
No peppermint schnapps or caramel vodka on hand? Don’t worry – there are plenty of other ways to add a special touch to your hot chocolate.
— zulily (@zulily) December 22, 2014
Image courtesy of celebrations.com