Heather Green, of Twin Falls, Idaho, lived out a mother’s heartbreaking nightmare on Monday, when her children locked themselves into a mobile home that caught on fire.
Green was standing outside of the family’s home, smoking a cigarette while she played a game with one of her sons. The child pushed the home’s door towards his mother, and she pushed it back at him. The door then clicked closed, locking from the inside. The deadbolt also became engaged. Moments later, the home was in flames. According to KTVB, police have ruled the deaths accidental, saying the mother’s cigarette had nothing to do with the fire, but that a space heater within the home had been placed too close to belongings, sparking the blaze.
Green’s three children were trapped in the flaming home. Green and her neighbors tried to coax the children into unlocking the door, and then tried forcing their ways into the trailer. The mobile home park manager, Gary Zimmers, did manage to break a window and pull Green’s 3-year-old daughter Amiyah out of the flames, and she sustained only minor injuries. But Green’s two sons, 1-year-old Damien and 4-year-old Kayden, remained trapped in the fire.
No one was able to get to the boys. Faced with unimaginable heartbreak and terror, Green did the only thing she could do as a mother: She talked to her sons, trying to comfort them, continuously telling them that she loved them until she was unable to hear them any longer.
Gina Johnson, another manager at the Creekside RV Park where the tragedy took place, said, “She [Green] was standing by the window with her hand in there, telling them that she loved them. She made sure they heard it until she heard no more from them.”
She added that Green’s hands were burned from the fire.
Johnson said of the children, “They were great kids. The youngest little boy, he was just a peach.”
Firefighters removed the little boys from the home, and the two were later pronounced dead at St. Luke’s Magic Valley Medical Center.
Johnson said the park is providing the remaining family housing for the next few months.
“I’ve known (Heather Green) for five years, and this woman would die for her children. She loved her babies,” she said.
The Red Cross has also responded to help with temporary housing, food, and clothing for the surviving child and the mother.
The boys’ father, Christopher Green, is an inmate in the Twin Falls County Jail. Officials say he has been notified, and accommodations were being made for him. Police also stress that this is a time to help support the family in their heartbreaking loss.
The fire completely destroyed the home.
Just last month, a 3-year-old boy set fire to his family’s mobile home in Maine. For more on that story, click here.
[Image via Magic Valley News]