After spending scores of hours looking at Black Friday deals, the reality for what truly is a good deal might get lost. The truth is, there are Black Friday deals you should probably not buy.
Black Friday has always been the day to get the hottest priced sales for the most wanted items of the season that may sell out. It is a day—now even days, weekend, or weeks even for some retailers—big price hacks are offered and many get out to shop. But not every sale is a good buy, but can be priced better at different times of the year.
What Not to Buy
If you have the willpower to wait two more weeks, according to Deal News, a number of items will be cheaper in mid-December.
It suggests waiting to buy:
- Name brand HDTVs: Prices drop later in December, and even further in January in anticipation of the Super Bowl. Sure, I know what you are saying: “Best Buy is selling a 50 inch Panasonic LED HDTV for just $199 on Black Friday.” Yes, and if you want that one, you better be prepared to spend your entire Thanksgiving Day standing in a parking lot line.
- High end laptops: Again, the best Black Friday deals are on the sub-$299 models, because people on Black Friday don’t want to spend a fortune on anything.
- Exercise equipment: Sure you’ll find some good treadmill markdowns, but prices are at their lowest in late Spring, when no one is buying ellipticals or treadmills.
- Winter clothing: Lots of sweaters and coats are on sale Black Friday. But the current year fashion clothing does not go on big markdown until after Christmas.
- Most Toys: Despite flashy Black Friday ads, and some really good kids tablet deals at Toys R Us (such as those from LeapPad), most stores hold off on toy markdowns until the second week of December, when they see what’s not selling.
If you’ve waited in long lines for an item that is marked down lower only two weeks later, that puts a lot of cold water on your shopping fun.
Black Friday is a good day to buy a toy that could be sold out soon, but not necessarily a cart full of toys.
What is Black Friday good for? Electronics, which is why there is a larger majority of men, especially young males, reported CNBC.
What to Buy Thursday Night & Black Friday
Deal News says Black Friday is great for:
- Off-brand HDTVs: Check the ads for Walmart and Target and you will spot this. The biggest markdowns on Black Friday are for off-brands, and stores will have thousands of them.
- Entry-level laptops: Staples and Walmart are offering laptops as low as $99, but they are entry-level.
- Home appliances: If you need a fridge or washing machine, Black Friday is a very good day to shop.
- Opening hour door-busters, if you can get them (remember, stores typically have just 10 or 15 of their big door-buster deals in stock), plan ahead and line up early.
There are great deals on Black Friday, the best are the door-busters. For other items, it may pay to wait two weeks so you don’t waste your money. And it’s Thanksgiving weekend, don’t forgot to spend time with friends and family frying a turkey in that cheap turkey fryer you bought this week.