Dog Treats Used To Maliciously Poison Dog

An 11-year-old miniature schnauzer was treated for poisoning last week after he ate some tainted dog treats he found in his backyard.

Popo, the dog in question, is blind and diabetic. When he was let out into his backyard by owner, Hiro Oshida, he found a couple of the dog treats scattered around the area. Oshida said he found dozens more that the dog didn’t get to.

“It’s not human, you know? I don’t think he has a human heart,” Oshida said about the person behind the incident.

The dog treats were cut open and stuffed with what looked like rat poison pellets (picture below). The responsible party could be charged with animal cruelty and criminal damage to property.

Rat Poison Pellets

The dog was taken to Arlington Heights Animal Hospital and treated for intestinal distress. He was given vitamins and medicine meant to absorb the toxin, but the dog will need daily treatment for up to two weeks.

Dr. Anita Kuhnle explained how dangerous rat poison could be to a dog.

“Rodenticides kill over several days, four to seven days, depending upon the type of rodenticide. They either bleed to death, or they seizure and die.”

The incident happened in Schaumburg, Illinois, and officials are investigating the situation.

Arlington Heights Animal Hospital posted photos of the offending dog treats with a strict warning to people in the area.

“Someone in Schaumburg is putting some kind of poisonous substance in dog treats and leaving them around for unsuspecting pets. One of our patients has been exposed. Please be alert while walking your dogs.”

So far, it seems to have been an isolated incident, but that has left Oshida to wonder why someone would target his dog specifically.

“Why? I don’t know. Maybe he barked,” Oshida said.

“We checked the area for calls for police service, barking dog complaints and things like that, and we’ve had none. So if there’s a disgruntled neighbor, they certainly haven’t been calling the police department about any problem with the dog,” said Sgt. John Nebl of the Schaumburg Police Dept.

Sgt. Nebl continued, "[E]ven though we've only had this one single report, we're just reminding pet owners to watch and make sure they know what their dog is playing with." There has not been an arrest in this animal cruelty case as of yet. If anyone has any information about where the dog treats came from, please contact the Schaumburg Police Dept.

[ Image courtesy of Arlington Heights Animal Hospital ]