Two Dozen Kids Drink Cleaning Agent at New Jersey Daycare

Twenty-six children from a New Jersey daycare were rushed to the hospital on Thursday morning after drinking an unidentified cleaning agent, according to police. The children were served water from a pitcher that had a cleaning agent in it, reported NBC4 New York.

The water pitcher apparently had something like bleach mixed into it.

Three adults were also taken to the hospital with the children from The Growing Tree II Learning Center on Fifth Street in Jersey City.

Police told reporters that the children were accidentally served water from a pitcher that was normally used to clean art materials. The cleaning agent could also have been something that is typically used on art supplies, reports PIX11.

Jersey City police and fire spokesman Bob McHugh said they were still investigating the scene, and the children were being treated at an area hospital as a precaution. They were not showing any symptoms.

Multiple ambulances were sent to pick the children up, and they were taken to the Jersey City Medical Center-Barnabas Health hospital. A ‘mass casualty’ ambulance was on the scene, according to the hospital.

The director of the daycare, Sandra Vasquez, confirmed that the parents have been notified, but didn’t give any additional information.