Great-Grandma, 90, Had Standoff With Shotgun Against SWAT Team

A great-grandma, 90, had a standoff with police and a SWAT team while armed with a shotgun last Thursday. The woman, Eleouise Adcock of Channelview, Texas, brandished her shotgun at construction workers after complaining about the noise they were making.

Harris County Sheriff's Deputy constables surrounded Adcock's house Thursday around noon, and the grandma sat at her back porch with the shotgun for several hours, reports WVEC.

Officers reported that the woman pointed her weapon at construction workers, as well as the first deputy called to the scene. Neighbor Ralph King stated of Adcock, "I knew she was going to be on the news eventually."

KPRC Houston notes that the 90-year-old woman has been living on the bank of the San Jacinto for more than 40 years, but recently a marine towing company moved in on either side of her house. Neighbor Sharlene Hathorn revealed, "They've bought properties there along the waterfront, and taken down three to four houses and made room for their equipment and stuff."

But the great-grandma wouldn't move. Another neighbor explained that Adcock is the last holdout and refuses to sell her property despite the company's repeated attempts to buy it. King stated, "She don't like what's going on over there. She don't want to sell out to these people here."

Harris County Sheriff's Deputy Thomas Gilliland stated of the shotgun standoff, "[The construction workers] told us she has pointed weapons at them before. They didn't tell anyone about it the first few times. This time they felt she was much more angry about them being here working and excavating the dirt."

The standoff took about four hours, and a sergeant tried to engage Eleouise Adcock in conversation while the SWAT team moved in around her house. Gilliland recalled, "She talked for a little while, she came and went back into the home, came back outside and at that point she put the shotgun down."

SWAT team members rushed to the porch, taking away the shotgun, then arresting Adcock. The great-grandma was taken away by ambulance and will undergo a mental health evaluation. Gilliland noted, "She was taken into custody as gently as we could."

Sharlene Hathorn, who lives a few doors down from Adcock, told reporters of the standoff, "It's a little nerve-wracking. We've got a lot of elders around here and mommas with babies."

No charges are expected for the great-grandma who held a shotgun in a standoff with police.

[Image: New York Daily News]