Woman Sues Olive Garden After Norovirus Infection Forces Her To Have C-Section

A pregnant Oregon woman recently sued sit-down restaurant chain Olive Garden after a norovirus infection she allegedly contracted from the restaurant forced her to have a Caesarian section.

According to reports, Miranda Fischer and 12 other relatives reportedly had lunch at Lancaster Mall in Salem in January of 2013. Two days later, the pregnant woman and six of her fellow diners came down with a norovirus infection. As a result, she was given a C-section instead of natural childbirth.

Attorney Thomas Patton said Fischer suffered from nausea, dehydration, and nausea while preparing to give birth. Although doctors wanted to allow the woman to have a natural birth, she was simply too dehydrated. That’s when doctors decided to perform a C-section.

Since Fischer believes that she contracted the norovirus infection from Olive Garden, she decided to file a lawsuit against the restaurant chain. Blood tests confirmed the Fischer did in fact contract the infection, though she was on the only person diagnosed with the virus.

Olive Garden believes they aren’t to blame for the situation. A Darden Restaurants spokesperson said, “We don’t have any indication that this lady contracted norovirus at our restaurant or that norovirus caused her to have a C-section. We don’t have any indication of a norovirus outbreak in January 2013.”

However, the woman’s attorney believes Olive Garden is at fault in the matter. According to Patton, the restaurant is negligent because it “failed to maintain proper standards of cleanliness; failed to properly clean, prepare and cook the food; failed to ensure that hands were washed; and allowed a staff member to work while infected with norovirus.”

Fischer is asking for $50,000 in damages according to the documents filed in Multnomah County Circuit Court. According to the Daily Mail, the lawsuit is currently pending with Olive Garden’s insurance company. Thankfully, both the mother and the baby are fine.

Loading...

The norovirus, which is sometimes called the Winter Vomiting Bug, causes the parts of the digestive system to become inflamed. Symptoms often include “diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, stomach pain, fever, headache, and body aches.” The virus is often spread by consuming the stool of someone who is currently infected with the virus.

The Inquisitr reported last year that over 100 passengers on the Royal Caribbean cruise ship Vision of the Seas suffered from an norovirus outbreak while at sea. The infected individuals were reportedly treated with a non-prescription medication.

The lawsuit against Olive Garden is pending as of this writing.

[Image via Wikimedia Commons]