Russian authorities are on high alert after finding six bodies and three explosive devices in areas near the site of the 2014 Sochi Olympics. Russian security official’s stated that all the victims appear to have been shot.
According to ABC News, a car with a body inside exploded as police approached it in Russia’s Stavropol Territory. When sweeping the area, officials found another car containing the bodies of three men along with explosive materials. Finally, the day before, Russian officials reported finding two more bodies in cars in the same region.
With the 2014 Sochi Olympics only weeks away, Russian security forces have been forced to launch an “anti-terrorism sweep” to see if there are any more dangers or bodies in the area. According to The Guardian, three of the cars discovered had been rigged with explosive devices, but only one of the bombs had gone off. No further injuries were reported.
Vladimir Markin, spokesman for Russia’s main investigative agency, said that Federal Security Service officers had joined forces with local authorities in the investigation. The current investigation is looking into what may have been the cause and motives behind the deaths.
Some of the bodies found in the cars have been identified. Two were reportedly taxi drivers, and a third assembled furniture for a private businessman. All three men are said to have been local residents, but their names have yet to be publicly released. The discovery of these bodies and explosives come only a week or so after two suicide bombings in the city of Volgograd.
There are many worries regarding the safety of those who will be not only participating in the 2014 Sochi Olympics, but for the spectators as well. Russian authorities continue to say that they have plenty of security measures in place. Fox News stated that “tens of thousands of Russian police, security agents, rescue workers and army troops are being deployed for the games,” and that all security units have been on duty as of Tuesday.
[Image via Scrape TV]