It was a massive earthquake with some suggesting that they might have to revise the power of the quake upward from8.9 to 9.1.
In fact the earthquake was so powerful that it caused some pretty major geological changes. Scientists from the United States Geological Service (USGS) shared some startling information while answering questions from the public today.
- Earth’s axis has reportedly shifted 10 inches as a result of the quake
- Japan’s coast is said to have permanently shifted 2.4 meters
- 100+ aftershocks measuring 5.0 magnitude or more have hit Japan following the initial quake
- The quake was 900 times stronger than the one that hit San Francisco in 1989
- Shaking was felt as far away as China
- St. Louis, Missouri media outlets are reporting the city has moved an inch as a result of the quake
- Waves from the tsunami caused by the quake reached 32 feet
via The Vancouver Sun