Rajon Rondo will be sitting out for the next two games. The Boston Celtics star was suspended for two games by the NBA today for starting a scuffle on the court on Wednesday night. Teammate Kevin Garnett and Brooklyn Nets player Gerald Wallace were both fined for their involvement in the fight.
The New York Times reports that the lead official, James Capers, called Rondo the “undisputed instigator” in the incident.
“Rondo initiated everything that proceeded after the foul.”
This is Rondo’s third suspension in 10 months. Garnett was fined $25,000 for his involvement in the melee. Wallace was fined $35,000.
Rondo said today that he did not believe that he was a dirty player. The Celtics guard said that he thought Humphries’ foul on Garnett was dirty and that he wanted to stick up for his teammate.
“I thought the play on Kevin was a malicious play … I got hurt last year on a similar play — a guy going up in the air, defenseless, on his way down. I just pushed Humphries. I didn’t try to start a riot. I don’t think it was more than a pushing war.”
The Celtics will face Portland and Milwaukee without their star point guard. In addition to being forced to the bench, Rondo will also see his incredible assist streak come to an end. Rondo has had 37 consecutive games with 10 or more assists. Unfortunately, the Celtics guard won’t get a chance to surpass Magic Johnson’s record of 46.