Tonight is the moment that so many have been waiting for as season 23 of Dancing with the Stars begins on ABC. Last time, Nyle DiMarco took home the iconic Mirrorball Trophy and the one before that, it was Bindi Irwin. Everyone wants to find out who is the odds-on favorite for season 23, but first, here’s everything you need to know about DWTS including the contestants, pro-pairings, past winners, and more.
There are some big names in this year’s competition, and fans can’t wait for them to head out onto the dance floor.
Your favorite stars show us their best moves on the #DWTS premiere TONIGHT at 8|7c on ABC! pic.twitter.com/EjCuZHAPbZ
— Official DWTS (@DancingABC) September 12, 2016
First of all, let’s take a look at the celebrities/stars who will put on their dance shoes and try to win it all. The full list of contestants was revealed some time ago as were the partner pairings with the pros, and Us Weekly revealed awesome looks at each team.
The following list will have the celebrity named first and then the pro.
- Amber Rose and Maksim Chmerkovskiy
- Laurie Hernandez and Valentin Chmerkovskiy
- Maureen McCormick and Artem Chigvintsev
- Calvin Johnson and Lindsay Arnold
- Vanilla Ice and Witney Carson
- Marilu Henner and Derek Hough
- Rick Perry and Emma Slater
- Jake T. Austin and Jenna Johnson
- Ryan Lochte and Cheryl Burke
- Jana Kramer and Gleb Sachenko
- Babyface and Allison Holker
- James Hinchcliffe and Sharna Burgess
Some of those names appear as if they could truly run away with the competition, but there have been numerous surprises in the past. Bovada has released the Las Vegas odds for season 23 of Dancing with the Stars, and Olympic gold medalist Laurie Hernandez is leading the way with 4-1 odds.
Others who are near the top of the list are Amber Rose (5-1), former NFL star Calvin Johnson (8-1), and rapper/reality star Vanilla Ice (7-1).
There have been stars from all walks of life who have waltzed away with the Mirrorball Trophy at the end of their season. Some had formal dance training in the past, but there were also those who had never set foot on a dance floor before.
One never knows who is going to pair well with their pro which can either help them or harm them. This time around, it could be the most surprising contestant that makes it through each week and to the very end. Don’t forget, the fans have a lot of say in who continues to each episode so even if they don’t have all the skills, they may have all the support.
Here is a full list of winners from the first 22 seasons of Dancing with the Stars listed as celebrity and pro.
- Kelly Monaco and Alec Mazo
- Drew Lachey and Cheryl Burke
- Emmitt Smith and Cheryl Burke
- Apolo Anton Ohno and Julianne Hough
- Helio Castroneves and Julianne Hough
- Kristi Yamaguchi and Mark Ballas
- Brooke Burke and Derek Hough
- Shawn Johnson and Mark Ballas
- Donny Osmond and Kym Johnson
- Nicole Scherzinger and Derek Hough
- Jennifer Grey and Derek Hough
- Hines Ward and Kym Johnson
- J.R. Martinez and Karina Smirnoff
- Donald Driver and Peta Murgatroyd
- Melissa Rycroft and Tony Dovolani
- Kellie Pickler and Derek Hough
- Amber Riley and Derek Hough
- Meryl Davis and Maksim Chmerkovskiy
- Alfonso Ribeiro and Witney Carson
- Rumer Willis and Valentin Chmerkovskiy
- Bindi Irwin and Derek Hough
- Nyle DiMarco and Peta Murgatroyd
One repeating name that may look very familiar is “Hough,” and it will again this season. Derek Hough is returning as a pro competitor while his sister Julianne Hough will be back as a judge as reported by Fox News.
Hough took off last season of Dancing with the Stars to work on the Grease: Live special for Fox.
Dancing with the Stars returns tonight for season 23 and ABC wants everyone to tune in for the premiere beginning at 8 p.m. ET. The show will air live in two major cities on the west coast as well, San Francisco and Los Angeles, at 5 p.m. PT, according to ABC.
Even though some of the celebrity names may not be familiar to everyone, folks will get attached to them quickly. Season 23 of Dancing with the Stars kicks off tonight, and the pairings of celebs and pros will dance quickly, gracefully, and full of poise as they go after the coveted Mirrorball Trophy. Who will have their name etched in history with the rest of the past winners?
[Image via ABC Television Network]