Prince Harry issued a heartfelt letter to John Hugh “Buddy” Dyer, the Mayor of Orlando, following the horrific mass shooting at Pulse nightclub that left 49 people dead and 53 others injured on June 12.
According to Us Weekly, who obtained a copy of the letter Harry sent to the Mayor of the Florida City, the British Prince took the time to honor the victims and their families whilst also praising those who responded to the tragedy.
“I wanted to write and express my most sincere condolences to the people of Orlando after the horrific attack on the Pulse nightclub on Sunday,” Harry opened the letter, which was written on official stationery from Kensington Palace and dated June 14, before referencing his recent time in Orlando for the Invictus Games.
“Having just spent time in Orlando I know what a warm and welcoming community it is,” Harry wrote. “In spite of this senseless act, I have no doubt that the love and friendship of your city will remain strong.”
Prince Harry then went on to praise the police and first responders who attended the scene in the early hours of June 12, telling Dyer that he offered his “deepest admiration to the law enforcement officers who attended the nightclub during the attack for their extraordinary bravery and professionalism.”
“Our thoughts are with the victims and their loved ones at this most difficult of times,” Prince Harry added. “You are all in our prayers as you face the days and weeks ahead.”
The copy of the letter obtained by Us Weekly then showed that Prince Harry personally signed his name, before signing off with a handwritten “Best Wishes.”
People confirmed the authenticity of the letter Prince Harry, who is fifth in line to the British throne, sent to the Orlando Mayor, as a source revealed to the site that the sincere message was Harry’s way of letting the city of Orlando know that his thoughts of with them at this tragic time.
A royal source told the site that Harry “was given an incredibly warm reception in Orlando” when he most recently visited the U.S. city in May “and he wanted to write a letter to the mayor following the events at the weekend.”
Dated as June 14, Harry’s message to Dyer and the people of Orlando came on the same day that his brother and sister-in-law, Prince William and Princess Kate, paid a visit to the U.S. Embassy in London to sign a book of condolences for the families of the victims who lost their lives during the tragedy.
According to People, William paused before writing his message to read Ambassador Matthew Barzun’s tribute in the book, before he then wrote a heartfelt message of his own to the multiple grieving families.
“With our deepest condolences and with our thoughts and prayers to all those affected,” Prince William wrote, before the site claimed that Kate then signed her own name underneath the message as “Catherine.”
Though Harry did not accompany William and Kate to the U.S. Embassy earlier this week, the Prince had nothing but praise for the Florida city after spending time in Orlando in May during the Invictus Games, which Harry created to allow injured veterans to compete in various sporting events.
Prince Harry went on to praise Orlando in an interview with CBS This Morning, referencing a trip he and William took to the city with his late mother, Princess Diana, when he was just nine-years-old.
“You know, we had happy, happy memories… it was absolutely fantastic,” Harry said. “It’s so nice to be back here.”
What do you think of Prince Harry’s heartfelt message to the Mayor of Orlando?
[Photo by Chris Jackson/Getty Images for Invictus]