Megyn Kelly has spoken up in defense against yet another of Donald Trump’s attacks on women. This time his target was one woman in particular, the wife of Ted Cruz, his opponent in the Republican primaries. When Trump retweeted a meme that can only be seen as insulting toward Heidi Cruz, Megyn Kelly responded with a single word: “Seriously?” Kelly is the Fox News Channel star that has been the target of multiple comments by Trump.
The meme that elicited the response from Kelly is what can only be described as an unflattering photo of Heidi Cruz next to a glamorous photo of Trump’s wife, Melania Trump, a former supermodel. Trump retweeted the photo with his comment, “A picture is worth a thousand words.”
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 24, 2016
Trump’s targeted focus on Megyn Kelly appears to have begun during the first debate of the Republican primaries. As a moderator of the debate, Kelly mentioned Trump’s history of misogynistic remarks and asked if he possessed a “presidential temperament.” Just one day after the debate, Trump said Megyn Kelly had “blood coming out of her wherever.” Trump drew battle lines after that debate and even refused to attend a later debate hosted by Fox News, citing the fact that Kelly would be moderating as his reason. The inflammatory comments have become a pattern with Trump, and Fox News recently issued a statement in Kelly’s defense.
“Donald Trump’s vitriolic attacks against Megyn Kelly and his extreme, sick obsession with her is beneath the dignity of a presidential candidate who wants to occupy the highest office in the land.”
Megyn Kelly has often been admired for her ability to resist firing back against Trump’s attacks on her. When his attacks turn to disparaging another woman, as in the case of Heidi Cruz, or women in general, however, Kelly comes out quickly against him. During that first debate, the question from Megyn that got Trump riled up was her questioning of his comparison of various women in the past to “fat pigs” and “dogs, slobs and disgusting animals.”
After Trump’s vendetta began in that first debate, he didn’t show any signs of letting up. At one point, Trump even led another personal attack against Megyn Kelly by calling for a boycott of her show. Geraldo Rivera quickly responded in defense of his colleague, calling Trump’s focus on Kelly an “obsession.” Fox News and its spokesperson have been consistently on the side of Megyn Kelly in spite of Trump’s calls for boycott and his negative comments about her.
Everybody should boycott the @megynkelly show. Never worth watching. Always a hit on Trump! She is sick, & the most overrated person on tv.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 18, 2016
Megyn Kelly knows how it feels to be Trump’s target and perhaps that is the reason for her rushing to the defense of anyone else who unwittingly steps in the path of his tirades. Last year, only a couple of months after the infamous debate clash between the two, Megyn told Charlie Rose that neither she or Fox News wished to engage in “any sort of war” with Trump. His attacks continued, however. At a time when voters believe a presidential candidate should be discussing larger issues, namely the increasing debt of the nation and the safety of the people in the face of attacks by terrorists across the globe, Mr. Trump continues in the vein of consistently insulting women. He’s branched out to include other targets, of which Heidi Cruz just happens to be the latest. Will she be his next obsession? Whether his attacks stay focused on Megyn Kelly and Heidi Cruz or include other women, no doubt Ms. Kelly will be listening and waiting.
[Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images]