Tyga received heavy fire on social media after news broke out claiming that Beatles legend Paul McCartney was denied at the door of a Grammys after-party event the American rapper was performing at.
According to Mashable, Paul McCartney, along with Beck and Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins, were denied entrance at The Argyle in Hollywood not once, but twice.
When security for Tyga’s show told Paul and his companions that they are not welcome, McCartney said, “How VIP do we gotta get? We need another hit.”
Beck, who won the Album of the Year award at last year’s Grammys, joked, “‘Next year!”
— Mashable (@mashable) February 16, 2016
After being rejected by security a second time, the trio gave up and went instead to Hyde for the Republic Records party, where they were allowed in without opposition.
One guest who got into the club, Bow Wow, 28, said that he was shocked when he learned that Paul McCartney was denied entry, saying, “Wait. The Paul McCartney came to Argyle… and they wouldn’t let him in? You’ve got to be lying.”
— VH1 Music (@VH1Music) February 16, 2016
The backlash received by Tyga is not surprising in the least. In fact, it was to be expected. Criticisms and insults piled on the rapper quick and heavy, with a majority of them belittling Tyga’s accomplishments.
Paul McCartney has produced burps more musically valuable than Tyga's entire discography ????☕️
— h a n n a h (@HannahManierka) February 17, 2016
The real question is why would Paul McCartney want to go to Tyga's after party?
— Intern John (@InternJohnRadio) February 17, 2016
I'm happy Paul got denied from Tygas party. Tyga does not deserve to breathe the same air as Paul McCartney
— Tommy Morgan (@tommymorgan11) February 17, 2016
Tyga finally set the record straight after he discovered that Paul McCartney was denied entry into his Grammys after-party on Monday night.
As reported in Hollywood Life, Tyga claims that he had no idea that the Beatles legend was trying to enter his after-show at the time of the incident. During his surprise appearance on February 16, Tyga proclaimed his innocence, explaining that he only discovered that Paul was turned away from the door when he received texts from friends the morning after. Tyga added that if he had known, he would have “got the mic” and invited McCartney to join him on stage.
The 26-year-old rapper also referenced the tweets he put out on Tuesday to explain that he had no knowledge “Sir Paul was there.” Tyga also posted an apology tweet directed at McCartney. As of this writing, Paul hasn’t responded to the tweet yet.
“Why would I deny @PaulMcCartney stop it. He’s a legend [—-],” Tyga wrote. “I don’t control the door. I had no knowledge SIR PAUL was there. I just performed and left.”
I don't control the door. I had no knowledge SIR PAUL was there. I just performed and left.
— T-Raww (@Tyga) February 16, 2016
Why would I deny @PaulMcCartney stop it. He's a legend ????????
— T-Raww (@Tyga) February 16, 2016
No one has said for sure on whether Tyga’s Grammys after-party had a definitive guest list, but Tyga insisted that he didn’t know anything about it, that he was just “paid to go and perform.” Tyga then gave McCartney a shout out inviting him to one of his shows at LA’s Nokia Theater on February 26.
“I would love for you to come,” invited Tyga.
When asked if Tyga was worried about the possibility of Paul McCartney composing a diss track as revenge against him, the American rapper had a classy response, saying, “OG (Original Gangsta) in the game, no diss track.”
Do you believe Tyga’s explanation? Should Paul McCartney believe him and accept his apology? Sound off in the comments section below.
[Photos by Angela Weiss and Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images]