Jason Terry Reaches 3-Year, $15 Million Deal With Celtics
Jason Terry has verbally agreed to a 3-year, $15 million deal with the Boston Celtics.
But the 34-year-old shooting guard hasn’t quite ended his eight year run with the Dallas Mavericks. Terry told Fox Sports’ Chris Tomasson, ”I want to see what they come up with. But I’m not optimistic.”
So far owner Mark Cuban hasn’t matched the Celtics’ offer. If he doesn’t, Terry will officially sign to the Celtics on July 11.
Currently, the Mavericks are going after Deron Williams, a point guard for the Brooklyn Nets. If they do decide to match the Celtics’ offer to Jason Terry, it won’t happen until after Williams decides if he’s going to stay with the Nets or sign with Dallas.
Terry is apparently excited at the thought of joining the Celtics. He told Tomasson, “I just love that they have a championship pedigree. And I think their point guard (Rajon Rondo) is the best in the business at controlling both ends of the floor.”
Before his free agency began on Sunday, Terry expressed an interest in signing with Miami. Miami didn’t return the interest, and immediately started looking to sign Ray Allen once the free agency period began. The Heat are offering Allen a $3.09 million deal to sign with the new NBA champions.
Jason Terry made 43 percent of his shots from the field, hit 37 percent of his 3-pointers and averaged 15.1 points this past season. Terry played an integral part during the 2011 playoffs, which ended with the Dallas Mavericks defeating the Miami Heat 105-95 in six games. Terry had a 47.8 field goal percentage, a 44.2 percent 3-point percentage, and averaged 17.5 points per game.