Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson

Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson Loses Puppy To Poisonous Mushroom

It is a sad week in Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson’s household after he lost one of his new puppies Monday. The pup ate a poisonous mushroom and couldn’t be saved.

As reported on the Inquisitr, the actor and former wrestler recently adopted two French bulldogs. Named Hobbs and Brutus, the puppies went on to become an Internet sensation after The Rock posted photos on the social media, especially when the two mutts had a close call in the swimming pool.

According to People Magazine, the Rock adopted the two pups over the Labor Day weekend and noted that shortly after they brought them home, he let them outside to learn how to “handle their business and potty like big boys.” It was a close call at that time, as they both ran out at full speed and fell right into the deep end of The Rock’s swimming pool.

Reportedly, Hobbs immediately started doggy paddling, but Brutus sank like a stone to the bottom of the pool. Seeing what was happening, The Rock immediately ran to the pool and dove in, fully clothed, to the rescue. Luckily, Brutus was fine, and apparently didn’t need mouth to mouth!

He explained on Instagram that he learned a lot that day, as in not all dogs automatically know how to swim and also, when rescuing said dogs, try to throw your cell phone to safety before diving into the rescue, unlike his own phone.

#currentmood #monday #Repost @therock with @repostapp. ・・・ Here's a fun Labor Day weekend story… We just decided to add two new members to our Johnson family. Baby French Bulldogs. In my right hand is BRUTUS and in my left hand is HOBBS. Bring them home and immediately take them outside so they can start learning how to "handle their business and potty like big boys". I set them both down and they both take off in a full sprint and fall right into the deep end of our pool. HOBBS immediately starts doggy paddling while BRUTUS (like a brick) sink heads first to the bottom of the pool. I take off into a full sprint, fully clothed, dive in the pool, swim to the bottom, rescue my brick, I mean BRUTUS and bring him back to the edge of the pool. He was a little delirious.. took a moment, threw up all the water he swallowed and looked up at me as if to say, "Thank God you didn't have to give me mouth to mouth!" and then ran off to play with his brother. A few lessons I've learned today.. A) Not all puppies have the instinct to doggie paddle. B) Some puppies (like BRUTUS) will be so in shock by experiencing water they will sink extremely fast so react quick. C) While spiriting to save your puppies life, before you dive in, try and throw your cel phone to safety. Don't keep it in your pocket… like I did. #BRUTUSLives #HOBBSCanSwim #MyCelPhonesDead #AndNoMouthToMouthNeeded #HappyLaborDay

A photo posted by Alexandra d'Archangelo (@adarchan) on

After a trip to the vet, Brutus was taken back home, alive and well, much to the relief of The Rock and Co., and the actor warned everyone on the social media to take care with their pets when near water, as you never know what might happen.

https://instagram.com/p/7ZnFiMpQfC/?tagged=brutuslives

The bad news, however, is that on Monday, Brutus became sick after eating a poisonous mushroom. Regrettably, there was nothing to be done for the pup, and The Rock had to end the poor little guy’s suffering. He then immediately took to both Facebook and Instagram with the sad news.

He said, “As all puppies and dogs do, he ate a mushroom while playing outside with his brother Hobbs.”

The Huffington Post quoted The Rock as explaining that he and girlfriend Lauren Hashian immediately took Brutus to the vet, but eventually had to take him off life support, “sending his soul to pup heaven.” It turned out the mushroom was rapidly destroying the pup’s liver and immune system, and there was nothing that could be done to save him.

“We’ll always love you Brutus… and you’ll always be my lil’ main and tough housing Brute,” The Rock said.

The Fast and Furious star once again warned dog lovers on the social media to be mindful of mushrooms in their yards or parks, as some of them can be lethal to pets, saying, “What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil’ family members.”

Wise words indeed, as the world can be a dangerous place for small puppies, even when they have a great big tough guy like The Rock to look after them. Despite his tough guy persona, The Rock has always made no secret of his love for animals and often posts cute photos on Instagram, posing with either dogs or horses.

Brutus is, however, survived by his brother, Hobbs, and it turns out there will shortly be another member of the family. As reported in the Inquisitr article, The Rock and his girlfriend, Lauren Hashian, recently announced they are expecting their first child together. This is a second child for The Rock, as he already has a daughter, 14-year-old Simone Alexandra, from a previous relationship.

[Photo by Jesse Grant / Getty Images Entertainment]

Comments