Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Won’t Be Returning After Son’s Arrest

Red Sox broadcaster Jerry Remy will not be returning to the broadcast booth this season, following his son’s recent arrest.

The 60-year-old hasn’t been on air since August 15, the night his 34-year-old son Jared murdered his girlfriend, Jennifer Martel. He previously expressed his heartbreak over Martel’s murder, saying, “Son or not, I am at a loss for words articulating my disgust and remorse over this senseless and tragic act.”

Remy’s business partner John O’Rourke posted a statement on the former Red Sox second baseman’s official Twitter account.

“I am full of grief for the Martel family. My thoughts and prayers continue to go out to them. My wife and I are sick about this senseless tragedy,” he said in the statement. “It’s clear this isn’t the time for me to return to broadcasting Red Sox games. It’s my hope that I can do so in the spring. I thank the Red Sox and NESN for their support through this nightmare.”

Jared Remy stabbed 27-year-old Jennifer Martel to death two days after he was released from jail for assaulting her. The couple had gotten into an argument on August 13, and Remy pushed her into a bathroom mirror. He was arrested and charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and Martel obtained an emergency restraining order.

Remy was arraigned in Waltham District Court and pleaded not guilty. He was released on personal recognizance with a bail warning and no-abuse order. Martel declined to have the restraining order extended at the request of Remy’s mother.

On August 15, police were called to Remy and Martel’s Waltham home after multiple 911 calls about a stabbing. Neighbors witnessed Remy assaulting Martel and tried to pull him off of her. Martel suffered stab wounds to her neck and shoulder. Her and Remy’s 4-year-old daughter was in the home at the time, but was not harmed. Remy was arrested at the scene and arraigned the following day. He again pleaded not guilty and was ordered held without bail.

NESN President and CEO Sean McGrail said the network supported Jerry Remy’s decision.

“When Jerry feels the time is right, we will welcome him back,” he said. “All of us at NESN and the Red Sox once again express our deepest sympathies to the Martel family for their terrible and tragic loss.”