Bubonic Plague Death Linked To Tainted Meat
A bubonic Plague death has been linked to tainted meat. A 15-year-old Krygyzstan boy reportedly ate a barbecued marmot. The groundhog-like rodents are known to carry the deadly disease.
Temir Issakunov’s body was cremated and buried as a precaution. However, he came into contact with close to 100 people before he died. As reported by Business Insider, the 100 people have been placed in quarantine.
Officials originally suspected the boy was bitten by a flea. However, they later discovered that he ate the marmot.
Fleas get the plague from feeding on infected animals. When fleas become infected, they pass it to humans and other animals.
Humans contract the disease by eating or handling infected animals. They can also become infected when bitten by an infected flea.
As reported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, humans can also contract the bubonic plague through direct contact with an infected human.
Bubonic plague can be successfully treated with antibiotics if it is diagnosed early.
Worldwide, up to 2,000 cases are reported each year. However, the World Health Organization suspects a large number of cases are unreported.
Bubonic plague is blamed for causing the European Black Death. The plague killed close to one-third of Europe’s population in the 1300s.
The introduction of antibiotics has reduced the number of fatalities. However, the mortality rates remain around 10 percent.
As reported by Mirror News, Temir Issakunov is the first person to contract the disease in the Central Asian republic in 30 years.
Nearly 2,000 Krygyzstan residents will be tested for signs of the disease. Officials have organized a team to rid the village of rodents.
Health officials are also providing antibiotics to be used on livestock. The transport of animals has been temporarily banned.
The bubonic plague death is frightening for residents of Krygyzstan. However, health officials are working hard to assure the disease does not spread.
[Image via Wikipedia]