Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher may reprise their roles in the new Star Wars movie but Disney will still be adding a bunch of new characters. The casting process has already started and Disney is looking for at least 7 new “lead roles” in Star Wars Episode VII.
Bleeding Cool uncovered a casting call for seven new characters for Star Wars Episode VII and Deadline confirmed that it was authentic. Casting directors, April Webster, Alyssa Weisberg and Nina Gold, sent the following notice out to agents.
- A young man aged between 20 and 25, witty and smart, fit but not classically handsome,
- Man in late twenties, also fit, but this one is handsome and confident.
- Late teenage girl, independent, good sense of humor, also… physically fit.
- Second young female, also late teens, tough, smart and physically fit.
- Man in his forties, obviously physically fit, this one is a military type.
- A man of around thirty or so, this one is an intellectual type.
- Finally, a guy aged around seventy, strong opinions and tough.
There aren’t any other details about the casting choices but Disney apparently wants its new characters to be physically fit. Well, except for the “intellectual” guy and the old guy with strong opinions.
Still, the new casting notice is bound to set the rumor mill into overdrive. But why wait? Here are some things that we can almost determine from the casting call.
- The new movie will feature a strong female lead. All of the characters in the casting notice are considered “lead roles” but with two teenage girls it appears that Disney may focus the new movie on a female lead character.
- Harrison Ford will not be involved with the new movie. Let’s hope that this movie isn’t true but a “guy aged around seventy, strong opinions and tough” sounds an awful lot like Harrison Ford. Is Disney looking for Han Duo?
- Disney may cast a few unknown actors. J.J. Abrams has made a few stars in his day and Hayden Christensen was relatively unknown when he was cast as Anakin Skywalker.
- The new movie will focus on Han, Luke and Leia as teenagers. That rumor is already out there and the casting notice may back it up.
What do you think about the Star Wars VII casting notice? J.J. Abrams said earlier this month that the new movie would start shooting in early 2014.