Shain Gandee Likely Died Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning, ‘Mudding’ Suspected

shain gandee cause of death

Buckwild star Shain Gandee, 21, was one of three men found dead in a vehicle in West Virginia early Monday nearly a day after they were reported missing, and carbon monoxide poisoning is believed to have been the fatal factor.

Shain Gandee was last seen late Saturday or early Sunday leaving a local bar, and the Buckwild star was never seen alive again. Gandee was found dead along with uncle David Gandee, 48, and 27-year-old Donald Robert Myers.

Before their disappearance, Gandee, his uncle and Myers indicated they’d planned to go off-roading, and the vehicle was located submerged in mud Monday.

As the Buckwild cast and fans mourn Shain Gandee’s death, production of the show has been halted.

Although authorities confirm no foul play is suggested in the three deaths, they will also not speculate upon Shain Gandee’s cause of death pending coroner’s findings. Police say the 1984 Ford Bronco’s tailpipe was submerged as well, and many have suggested carbon monoxide poisoning was the cause of death of the three men including Gandee.

Kanawha County Sheriff’s Department spokesman Dan Humphries acknowledged the speculation that Shain Gandee’s cause of death was carbon monoxide poisoning, saying:

“It’s not irresponsible of you to speculate that … But we’re waiting on the coroner’s report.”

After the search for Shain Gandee (which lasted 31 hours) ended tragically, MTV released a statement about the Buckwild star’s death:

MTV issued a statement saying it was shocked and saddened to learn of its star’s death.

“We are waiting for more information but at this time, our main concern is for the Gandee family and their friends. Our thoughts and prayers are with them. Shain had a magnetic personality, with a passion for life that touched everyone he met and we will miss him dearly.”

Funeral arrangements are currently being made for Shain Gandee.