Daytona 500 To Go On As Scheduled Despite Fiery Crash On Saturday
The Daytona 500 will take place as scheduled on Sunday despite a fiery crash at the Daytona International Speedway on Saturday that sent debris flying into stands.
The crash took place on the final curve of the Nationwide Series Drive4COPD 300, leaving 28 fans injured, including otwo initially listed in critical conditions. The Daytona crash was caught on a video posted on YouTube, showing a scene of chaos as the massive crash on the track spills over the barrier and into the crowd. The video shows a man waving frantically to get help for a wounded person as a tire rests among the crowd.
While Daytona International Speedway officials expressed condolences for those hurt, they also noted that the Daytona 500 is set to go on as scheduled.
“First and foremost, our thoughts and prayers are with our race fans,” the speedway said in a statement released Saturday. “We are in the process of repairing the facility, and we will be ready to go racing tomorrow.”
As track officials and racers prepare for the Daytona 500, victims of the crash are recovering. Byron Cogdell, a spokesman for the hospital that took in 12 victims, told CNN that many were improving. Two of them, including one child, were initially listed in critical condition but have since stabilized, officials said.
With the Daytona 500 going on as scheduled, fans can turn their attention to a historic start to the race. Last week Danica Patrick earned the pole position for the race, the first woman driver ever to start the Daytona 500 in that position.