Connecticut Serial Killer Update - William Howell, 45, has been identified as the suspect in the murders of seven women in New Britain. Howell is already behind bars serving a 15-year sentence on a manslaughter charge for the murder of Nilsa Arizmendi, 33, in 2003.
Connecticut police believe they have found the human remains of seven women who were victims of a serial killer. New Britain area police found the human remains in a "dumping ground" on Monday.
The humans remains, believed to be the work of a Connecticut serial killer, have been sent to the state medical examiner for identification. The remains of three women found behind a nearby strip mall in 2007 are believed to be linked to the case. One of the bodies has already been identified, according to New Britain Police Chief James Wardwell.
"This is certainly the burial site," Chief Wardwell told the media. The law enforcement investigation into a possible serial killer is reportedly focused on a single suspect who is already behind bars. The name of the Connecticut prison inmate has not yet been released to the public.
If the suspect is indeed responsible for the murders of all seven women, the bodies found at the dumping ground represents one of the worst killing sprees in the history of Connecticut. The most notorious serial killer ever arrested in the state was Michael Ross. He murdered eight girls and women in New York and Connecticut during the 1980s. Michael Ross, also known as the "Roadside Strangler" was executed in 2005 - this first such death sentence carried out in New England in decades.Melanie Ruth Camilini has been identified as one of the possible victims of a Connecticut serial killer. Camilini was a mother of two from Seymour who disappeared in 2003. The three murdered women found behind the strip mall in 2007 were also last seen in 2003, who like the other identified victims, had last been seen in 2003. The three previously identified murder victims are Diane Cusack, 53, Joyvaline Martinez, 23, and 40-year-old Mary Jane Menard.
Each year, homicide investigators have revisited the burial ground behind the strip mall with the aid of an FBI canine unit in an effort to find more human remains. Chief Wardwell revealed that testing on the human remains found behind the Connecticut strip mall all belonged to previously unknown victims.
Mary Jane Menard's son, Brian McKinney, stated that he was sad to learn that other families would also endure the pain of finding out that their loved one had been killed. McKinney did note that with the suspect already behind bars, he is grateful that the public is not still at risk.
"It's a relief to know that it's not going to happen again," the victim's son said.
"At least we know that pretty soon we will have justice," Menard's sister, Anna Santiago, said.
Connecticut Chief State's Attorney Kevin Kane also stated that the discovery of additional human remains at the same dumping ground was a sad day for all the families.
"Now they have some answers, but the answers that they have aren't good, either. And that's what I hope people pay attention to today, how sad this really is,"Kane said.
New Britain Police Chief Wardwell said that Cusack, Martinez, and Menard all had substance abuse problems. The women were reportedly known to hang out in the same downtown neighborhood.
Do you think there is a Connecticut serial killer?