Andrea Bocelli: Donald Trump Inauguration Chairman Says Trump Turned Him Down, Not The Other Way Around [Video]

Poor Andrea Bocelli is facing some backlash of his own after the news broke that he won’t be singing at the inauguration of Donald Trump after all.

The story goes like this: Bocelli agreed to perform at the controversial (and reportedly celebrity-lacking) Trump event. Then, the long-time friend of the former reality TV star backed out to save face. (Kind of like Frozen’s Idina Menzel, who suggested that Donald Trump sing for himself. Because, you know, he’s the best.)

The result of all of this inauguration drama? Massive backlash against unfortunate tenor Andrea Bocelli to the extent that the classical singer found himself facing a gigantic social media-inspired boycott. (#BoycottBocelli) A boycott related to Bocelli agreeing to perform at the Donald Trump event, not because he allegedly backed out. However, the news that Andrea Bocelli reportedly changed his mind about the big shindig ruffled a lot of feathers, too.

In a nutshell, Bocelli hasn’t been able to win for losing when it comes to his reported friendship with President-elect Trump. Now, as CNBC reports, there is yet another twist in the Andrea Bocelli and Donald Trump drama.

In this twist, Bocelli didn’t turn down his good friend Donald. Far from it. In this version of the inauguration drama, Donald Trump had no use for Andrea Bocelli, not the other way around.

“Bocelli and his wife… have been friends of Trump since the very beginning.”

According to Tom Barrack, the chairman of the Presidential Inaugural Committee, Donald Trump never approached Bocelli to perform at Trump’s inauguration. Rather, Barrack says that Andrea Bocelli offered to perform at the big event and was turned down by his newly presidential pal for his troubles. A far cry from the story being spun by the media.

If you’re unfamiliar with Tom Barrack, he’s a real estate buddy of Donald Trump’s, founder of Colony Capital-turned-presidential party planner. And he swears that Andrea Bocelli and his wife approached Trump with the performance offer, saying that Andrea would play the January 20 event “if it would be helpful.”

Reportedly, Bocelli was slated to sing a duet with the only star confirmed to play the inauguration, 16-year-old America’s Got Talent runner-up (not winner) Jackie Evancho. As the Washington Post reports, Evancho herself has faced a left-leaning backlash for her willingness to perform in honor of Donald Trump.

Tom Barrack says that Andrea Bocelli’s inauguration performance offer was kindly (but firmly) rejected by his buddy Trump. The fact that the tenor isn’t performing at the event has nothing to do with facing a potential boycott.

“[But] Donald said, ‘You don’t need to. We’re not in that kind of a framework. Thanks very much for the offer. You’re my friend. You are always welcome at the White House.'”

Unfortunately for Trump, Bocelli, and everyone else involved, Tom Barrack claims that media (and social media) have “twisted the situation.” Now, Bocelli is being boycotted for allegedly backing out of his inauguration agreement and Donald Trump looks like a president-elect who can’t even secure a classical singer (who’s also a friend) to perform at his gala.

“It never got to: Can you, will you, would you with either of them. They’re just great friends. And that was it.”

According to Barrack, Bocelli and Trump have been pals for a long, long time. Due to Trump’s generosity and good grace, of course. The chairman of the Presidential Inaugural Committee claims that Donald Trump once allowed Andrea to use his plane, back before Bocelli was anybody.

So far, Andrea Bocelli (who was busy performing at Madison Square Garden just last week) hasn’t commented on the claims of Trump’s inauguration guy, so the world doesn’t yet know his take on the Donald Trump spin of the inauguration drama.

[Featured Image by Evan Agostini/AP Images]