Wife-To-Be Left Paralyzed When Large Block Of Concrete Fell From Historic Building And Hit Her On Head Gets Early Christmas Present

A wife-to-be, who was left paralyzed after a block of concrete from a historic building falls and hits her on the head and shoulder, gets an early Christmas present, according to the Mirror.

It was July 2013 when the lives of Kirsty and Ben Bell changed forever.

The pair was depositing money in their account for their wedding at a local bank when tragedy struck. As they were leaving the bank, which is inside of a historic building, a block of concrete fell and landed on Kirsty’s head.

Ben was walking in front of his wife-to-be with his hand held behind him, holding Kirsty’s hand when he said he suddenly felt a tug.

It was reported that Kirsty had fallen to the ground after being struck in the head and shoulder by the concert.

When he turned around to see what was going on, Kirsty was “unconscious and bleeding terribly. I just started screaming for help,” said Ben. “It felt like a lifetime until the emergency services turned up. Someone even tried to steal Kirsty’s handbag as she lay there.”

Ben went on to say the block of concrete that had fallen on his fiancé was huge and it took five paramedics to lift it off of her.

Kirsty was airlifted to a hospital and immediately went into surgery upon arrival.

“I was frantic. A specialist came out and broke the news that she was paralyzed,” said Ben. “I just sat there in shock as Kirsty had surgery, secretly wishing they would be able to fix her.”

“I woke up in ICU and asked Ben what had happened,” she said. “He told me I would never walk again, that I’d be in a wheelchair. My first thought was, ‘Well, Ben won’t want me now – not like this.’

“I said, ‘I understand if you don’t want to stay with me anymore – but he went, ‘Are you mad?'”

Ben said: “Kirsty was alive, that was all that mattered. It never entered my head to go, not for a second.”

“Why would I leave the woman I’d planned to spend my life with? She was still the same person, except she was sitting down.”

“I thought at first he was telling me what I wanted to hear – but he was so wonderful I realized he meant it,” she said. “But then I asked one of the doctors if I could still have a baby and was told, ‘Sorry, but no.’ I cried my heart out. I was devastated.”

However, the soon to be husband and wife would face another obstacle. They were later informed that Kirsty will never have children.

But after more than five months of rehabilitation at the Spinal Injuries Centre at Stoke Mandeville Hospital, Bucks, she was told there was a chance that she and Ben could have children.

Kirsty and Ben got married in September 2015 and immediately tried for a baby but they were hit with another blow. Kirsty was diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome, but surprisingly after taking medication, she became pregnant with their first child.

“We had the 20-week scan and saw the baby. But Ben still didn’t really believe it until he felt him move a week later,” said Kristy.

It wasn’t until their son Harry Bell was born in October of this year that they believed their dream of becoming parents were coming true.

The woman who became paralyzed after being hit by a falling block of concrete from a historic building and was diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome was now married and gave birth to her first child just two months before Christmas.

“Christmas is going to feel really, really special this year. But buying presents is going to be a bit tricky,” said Kirsty.

“Every time I ask my relatives what they want for Christmas, they say, ‘We don’t want anything – we’ve got Harry now.'”

[Featured Image By Juefraphoto/iStock]