Following last Sunday’s TLC: Tables, Ladders, and Chairs show, Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter reported that AJ Styles had injured his right foot during his match with Dean Ambrose. The injury was described as a “minor ankle injury.”
Meltzer’s report was confirmed when Styles appeared on the following Tuesday’s SmackDown show with a protective boot on his right foot. As a result, his advertised WWE World Heavyweight Championship match with James Ellsworth — which was originally scheduled to be the show’s main event — was called off and replaced by an Intercontinental Championship match between Dean Ambrose and The Miz.
There is some concern among fans that Styles will be out of action for a long period of time, but, fear not, because the latest update by Cageside Seats says that The Phenomenal One isn’t expected to be on the sidelines for very long. In fact, he’ll probably be back in the ring before you know it.
Rumor Roundup: AJ Style injury status, WWE Creative team shake-up, Brandi Rhodes pregnancy talk, more! https://t.co/jJWlJ9TMbI— Cageside Seats (@cagesideseats) December 10, 2016
“AJ Styles is off house shows this weekend while he rests and rehabs his ankle. It’s not clear if he’ll be cleared by Tuesday, although he will be on the show in some capacity, and it’s not expected to be much longer before he is back in action.”
Regarding the rumored match between The Undertaker and AJ Styles at the Royal Rumble — which is still very much a rumor at this point — it looks like he’ll be back in time for that match, unless he aggravates his ankle, or suffers another injury before the event, which takes place on January 29.
Styles recently commented on a possible match with The Undertaker during his conversation with Planeta Wrestling. He kept it short and sweet, saying that if the WWE fans want to see it, then WWE should give it to them.
“It may be a dream match for The Undertaker. More importantly, is it a dream match for the WWE Universe? If they want Undertaker vs. AJ Styles, I say we give it to them.”
The rumored match is expected to involve The Undertaker winning the WWE World Heavyweight Championship from Styles at the Rumble, which will lead to The Deadman defending the title against John Cena — who is currently one of the favorites to win the Royal Rumble match, which guarantees a title shot at WrestleMania in Orlando next spring.
If Styles does end up dropping the title to The Undertaker in January, he may end up invoking his rematch clause at WrestleMania 33, which would make the show’s main event a triple threat match between himself, John Cena, and The Undertaker. If that ends up being the case, Cena could pin Styles, which would get him his win back, and it would get him his 16th world title. So, essentially, WWE could have Cena win the title without beating The Undertaker, while he gets revenge on Styles.
Nobody knows when The Undertaker will show up on WWE television again. Before last month’s Survivor Series, The Deadman said that he’s back and that WrestleMania will no longer define him, which gave many the impression that he’ll have at least one match before WWE’s biggest event of the year. As of this writing, The Undertaker isn’t advertised for any upcoming shows, but if he’s coming back anytime soon, WWE will likely announce the date a week or so ahead of time.
We’re still several weeks away from the Royal Rumble show, and we’re even farther away from WrestleMania 33. So, for now, Styles will probably continue his storyline with James Ellsworth. In fact, if he’s cleared to wrestle on Tuesday, he may even defend his title against Ellsworth on this coming week’s SmackDown.
[Featured Image by WWE]