After being introduced to Tom Holland as the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s version of Peter Parker in Captain America: Civil War, the new trailer for Spider-Man: Homecoming reveals that next year’s film may be the first addition to the MCU franchise that truly tells a coming-of-age story about a teenager dealing with their extraordinary abilities. While the X-Men movies and DC Comics-based shows on The CW may already have the teenage mutant market covered, the biggest comic movie franchise has Iron Man of The Avengers playing a supporting role to Spider-Man, who hasn’t even graduated high school.
As fans of the MCU have known for some time, this movie won’t bother to tell the origin story of how Peter Parker becomes Spider-Man. Instead, it deals with post-Civil War New York and Spider-Man trying to prove that he can hang with the rest of the superheroes. With no more Iron Man movies planned for Phase Three of the MCU and no more Avengers films until Infinity War in 2018, Robert Downey Jr.’s supporting role as Tony Stark in this film will likely be his biggest (if not only) contribution to the film series in 2017.
From Batman to Birdman to Vulture, Michael Keaton plays his third wing-themed superhero/super-villain in this film. A very diverse cast includes Jacob Batalon as Peter’s friend Ned, Laura Harrier as Peter’s crush Liz, and Tony Revolori as Flash Thompson. Bokeem Woodbine plays the role of Shocker, while Donald Glover has been cast in a role that has yet to be specified. Returning as Peter’s mother May is Marisa Tomei, while Jon Favreau reprises his MCU role as Happy Hogan.
RELATED REPORTS BY THE INQUISITR
- Woman Crush Wednesday: Hayley Atwell — Black Mirror Griever & Captain America’s Crush
- Hulu: Five Smart Comedies Every Millennial Should Be Watching
- MCU: 5 Ways Agents Of SHIELD: Ghost Rider Could Cross Over With The Netflix Marvel Universe
- Woman Crush Wednesday: 5 TV Super Heroines Or Villains Who Will Steal Your Heart
- Marvel: The 5 Biggest Surprises And Twists In Luke Cage On Netflix
- Hulu: What’s Leaving After November? What’s New In December? Marvel’s Iron Man To Be Added
- Woman Crush Wednesday — Alicia Silverstone: From Clueless Star To Nude Photos For PETA
- Spider-Man: Homecoming Skips Backstory, Finds Peter Parker Struggling After Civil War
- Andrew Garfield Discusses Amazing Spider-Man Regrets, Admits Films Broke His Heart
- Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite Deal: Could Iron Man’s Proton Cannon Or Spider-Man’s Maximum Spider Be In The MCU?
As noted by Forbes, the film’s first official trailer made its public debut on Jimmy Kimmel Live, but the fans were given a teaser-trailer that gave them their first glimpse of Spidey’s new costume. Received as a gift from Tony Stark as an upgrade from his gear in Civil War, his new Spider-Man suit has “web wings.”
According to Marvel, the film’s official synopsis is:
Fresh from his debut in Captain America: Civil War, Spidey launches into action with his new solo adventure in the first trailer for Spider-Man: Homecoming, in theaters July 7! With Iron Man teaching him the ropes–or should we say webs–of the super hero business, the Webslinger faces off against the menace of the Vulture while juggling his school and social life.
The most recent film released as part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe was Doctor Strange, which hit theaters on November 4. The next movie will be Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 on May 5. Spider-Man: Homecoming is scheduled to be released on July 7, 2017, followed by Thor: Ragnarok on November 3.
[Featured Image by Marvel Studios]