It seems Dr. Dre and Sony Pictures may be in for quite a legal battle after the rap mogul sent a cease and desist letter to the studio over a made-for-TV movie that is set to be released next week. The movie depicts the life of Dr. Dre’s ex-girlfriend, Michel’le, who has said that he was violent when they were together and in the upcoming biopic, Dre will be shown physically assaulting her; a portrayal the rap star will not stand for.
The TV movie Surviving Compton: Dre, Suge & Michel’le is set to be aired on Lifetime. It is a movie created by Sony Pictures that goes into detail about the explosive six-year relationship that R&B Divas: Los Angeles star Michel’le Toussaint and Dr. Dre had in the late ’80s and early ’90s.
— Zaria. (@ZariaVonMars) October 10, 2016
After Straight Outta Compton was released, Dr. Dre came out and made a public apology to the women he says he has hurt on his career path to becoming a super producer. In the movie, there is a recounting of Dre physically assaulting journalist Dee Barnes, “pummeling her” on a night in 1991, which is a horrific deed he has since blamed on his age and immaturity at the time. The N.W.A. biopic did not focus on the life or relationship Toussaint had with the rapper, and the Sony movie is set to rectify that on the small screen.
Michel’le has said before that she suffered five black eyes, numerous cracked ribs, and multiple scars over the course of her relationship with Dr. Dre. The small screen movie will show instances of physical confrontations between Dre and Toussaint, and the Chronic rapper is cast as a man who is not against beating his then girlfriend senseless.
Dr. Dre is none too pleased with the light he will be cast in, and TMZ reported that he is threatening to sue Sony if the movie ever airs.
Allegedly the cease and desist the Apple Music executive sent to Sony states that while Dr. Dre has admitted to dating Michel’le, he adamantly denies ever abusing her and states that there is no evidence to support the allegations the woman is making. Dre seems very upset over the allegations and said that it was over 30 years ago that the two dated and if indeed he had been hitting her she would have come forward at the time or since. He also points out that no police report was ever filed and Michel’le also does not have any medical reports to support her allegations.
The violence Dr. Dre is said to be shown committing against the woman in the TV movie is said to be a little shocking and incredibly violent, with Michel’le being thrown around by her hair and attacked numerous times. It is even alleged that the rap mogul punched the woman in her face a lot and even pulled a gun on her at one point.
— BlackSportsOnline (@BSO) October 10, 2016
As Uproxx wrote, Dr. Dre is not the only person in the Sony Pictures biopic who has stated that they will sue the company for casting them in an unfavorable light. Back in June, the third title character of Suge Knight in Surviving Compton: Dre, Suge & Michel’le also threatened the company. His lawyers stated that they were also going to sue depending on how Suge is characterized, as in 2013, Michel’le claimed that Suge had backhanded her so viciously that it had forced her jaw out of alignment.
As for Michel’le, she spoke about not reporting the abuse during her life with Dr. Dre and seemed unconcerned by insinuations that she never reported the abuse because there was none.
“When you’re living in it, you can’t see it. But I couldn’t believe that I was really living like that. And it really resonated with me. Never did I wake up and ask Dre, ‘Why did you hit me?’ … It’s easy for people to say, ‘OK, get over. Let it go,’ but then it’s not as easy. And the same goes with substance abuse, too. It was hell and didn’t help the situation, at all. I just really don’t want women to go through it, at all.”
[Featured Image by Kevin Winter and Charley Gallay/ Getty Images]