Apple Still Mum Over iPhone 6 Touch Disease And Exploding Units

Jovi Figueroa

With the iPhone 7 already on the market, is Apple's decision to keep silent over iPhone 6 units experiencing touch disease and units exploding and catching fire their way to push patrons to upgrade?

It's been a while since the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus have been introduced to the market, but thousands, maybe even millions, of people all over the world are still very much attached to their iPhone 6 units. However, it's also been an outstanding issue that while a number still keep their iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus units, a significant fraction of this number is plagued by what many would call the iPhone 6 "touch disease."

We previously reported in September that thousands of iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 users are experiencing this touch disease. The iPhone 6 touch disease pertains to when the user observes reduced responsiveness or the complete malfunction of the iPhone 6's touchscreen, more often coupled with a series of gray bars on top of the screen.

The iPhone 6 touch disease has been so widespread that a class action lawsuit has been filed against Apple.

— JOVI Figueroa (@Akosiboyjorge) September 18, 2016

"Each of the firms (who had their own clients) brings strength to the case, including Stephen Larson of Larson O'Brien, who is a former Federal Judge. With these firms working with us, we believe it gives us the best chance of obtaining a positive result in the case for the owners of the phones."

— (@MacRumors) October 9, 2016

"Given the similarity between the [Utah] and [California] actions, it would unnecessarily tax judicial resources if these actions were to proceed in separate class action lawsuits—especially where the [Utah] and [California] Plaintiffs purport to represent the same putative class of all consumers who purchased an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus."

In addition to the touch disease cases, two cases of iPhone 6 units catching on fire have been reported this week alone. The first incident, 6ABC reported, was an iPhone 6 Plus which suddenly caught on fire while snugly resting on a student's pocket. Darin Hlavaty, a student at Rowan College at Burlington County, shared.

"I felt this crazy, hot burning in my leg. Right as class was starting, my phone started smoking in my pocket. It was a fire. It was super hot so I flinched, grabbed it, threw it on the ground. Had to kick it because it was on fire."

— TechnoBuffalo (@TechnoBuffalo) October 8, 2016

[Featured Image by Robert Herhold/iStock]