Jung Joon Young, Kpop Star, Pulls Out Of ‘2 Days, 1 Night’ And Digital City Music Festival Amidst Sexual Assault Allegations And Investigation

Patricia Grannum - Author
By

Oct. 31 2017, Updated 5:36 a.m. ET

Jung Joon Young, Kpop idol to legions of fans has been let go from the TV variety show 2 Days, 1 Night. What’s even more interesting is that the “Sympathy” singer requested that he be let go from the program following the sexual assault accusations that have been plaguing his career lately.

“Regardless of the prosecutors’ investigation result, Jung will leave the show upon his request for departure,” Young’s representative said to the Yon Hap Agency, as reported by The Kpop Herald. “We would like to apologize to fans and fellow cast members of the show (for causing trouble).”

Article continues below advertisement

As The Kpop Herald notes, Jung was previously accused by an ex-girlfriend of taping a sexual act between them without her permission. She soon dropped the charges but the story still got out to the press, causing Young a great deal of embarrassment. The police investigation also continued although the charges were dropped.

Article continues below advertisement

Soompi also reports that 2 Days, 1 Night isn’t the only TV commitment that Jung Joon Young has pulled out of. The Kpop star has also backed out of an appearance on cooking show, Mr. Baek: The Homemade Food Master due to a need for self-reflection.

RELATED POSTS ON INQUISITR

Article continues below advertisement

According to Soompi, the production team on Mr Baek have “decided to respect Jung Joon Young’s request for time of self-reflection.” So this means that Joon Young fans won’t be seeing their idol on the show after the next two episodes which were already filmed. He won’t be joining the cast to film a new episode this week. There’s no confirmation yet on whether he will return to the show after his hiatus or if the “Where Are You” singer is gone for good.

Article continues below advertisement

Jung Joon Young will also be a no-show at The Digital Media City Music Festival, Soompi reports. Joon Young and his band had been scheduled to perform at the music festival alongside other popular Kpop acts like SISTAR and MONSTA X. But the current controversy in his personal life caused him to pull out of performing, much to the disappointment of his dedicated fans.

Article continues below advertisement

First of all, the filming of the sex tape was consensual, Joon Young said.

“It was a video that my ex-girlfriend and I both agreed to film, but I deleted it immediately afterwards. However, the word ‘hidden camera’ had appeared in reports, causing her to greatly fear everything,” he said.

After an argument that was triggered by the ex’s feelings about Jung hectic work schedule, sexual assault charges were filed against the former 2Days 1 Night cast member.

“At the time [of the accusation], I was busy with various schedules and the woman had felt neglected. We argued and came to a misunderstanding and she impulsively filed the charge based on the video filming.” Jung added.

The ex-girlfriend, whose identity has been hidden from public view, has since made petitions to the police to get Jung Joon Young’s name fully cleared of the sexual assault charges.

[Featured Image by Valerie Macon/Getty Images]

Advertisement

Latest #metoo News and Updates

    © Copyright 2022 The Inquisitr. The Inquisitr is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.