As the WWE Cruiserweight Classic Tournament begins to wrap up — and the debut of the Cruiserweight Division on Monday Night Raw approaches — there were just eight men remaining as the semi-finals began on this week’s edition of WWE CWC. Four matches will take place in Round 3, including Akira Tozawa vs. Gran Metalik, Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Noam Dar, The Brian Kendrick vs. Kota Ibushi, and TJ Perkins vs. Rich Swann.
On this week’s episode of WWE CWC, Akira Tozawa represented Japan while Gran Metalik represented Mexico. As phenomenal of a match as they put on, most members of the WWE Universe will likely be talking about the performances put on by Japan’s Kota Ibushi and USA’s Brian Kendrick. The match actually made Daniel Bryan as emotional as he’s been on WWE programming since being forced to leave in-ring competition.
Note: The following contains the full results and spoilers for the episode of WWE CWC that first aired on the WWE Network on August 31.
WWE Cruiserweight Classic Round 3 Results: 8/31/16
The following matches and segments for the eighth episode of WWE CWC were taped at Full Sail University. There are just two weeks before the conclusion of the WWE Cruiserweight Classic tournament on September 14. The following night, the Cruiserweight Division will be officially integrated into Monday Night Raw. A strong emphasis is being placed on each competitor’s country of origin. Countries represented on this two-match episode include Japan, Mexico, and the U.S. Daniel Bryan and Mauro Ranallo provided commentary.
Gran Metalik (Mexico) Defeated Akira Tozawa (Japan)
Both of these men eliminated fan favorites in the last round of the CWC, as Akira Tozawa eliminated Jack Gallagher, and Gran Metalik eliminated WWE veteran Tajiri. Before the match even started, Daniel Bryan proclaimed once again that Tozawa has the “best German suplex in professional wrestling.” During Akira’s match with Gallagher, Bryan specifically said his German suplexes were better than Brock Lesnar’s. As with most matches in the Cruiserweight Classic, the live audience at Full Sail University were fully supportive of both wrestlers. While Tozawa may have a little more charisma, Metalik’s in-ring style and ability is reminiscent of the great WCW Cruiserweight Division of the late 1990s.
Kota Ibushi (Japan) Defeated The Brian Kendrick (United States)
Despite holding a great deal of respect for Kota Ibushi, Daniel Bryan was not shy about his desire to see his friend The Brian Kendrick ultimately win the CWC. However, after an intense battle that really showcased what the Cruiserweight Classic Tournament was all about, Kota Ibushi proved to be too much for the veteran. The performances were full of such passion that Daniel Bryan broke down in tears as he called the end of the match. As the show was going off the air, Daniel Bryan and The Brian Kendrick shared a very emotional hug in the middle of the ring.
These WWE Cruiserweight Classic results have been corroborated by WWE’s official CWC page.
RELATED REPORTS BY THE INQUISITR
- Complete WWE SummerSlam 2016 Results — John Cena Loses To A.J. Styles, Nikki Bella Returns To Replace Suspended Eva Marie
- WWE NXT Results: Samoa Joe Is Injured — Shinsuke Nakamura’s ‘Era Of Strong Style’ Begins
- WWE Monday Night Raw Results: Seth Rollins Calls Out The Demon King Before WWE SummerSlam 2016
- Roman Reigns: Every WWE SummerSlam Appearance And Predictions For 2016
- WWE SmackDown Live Results: Carmella Attacks Nikki Bella — Randy Orton Vs. Bray Wyatt At Backlash
- WWE NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn II Results — Asuka Defeats Bayley; Shinsuke Nakamura Wins NXT Championship
- WWE CWC Round 2: Brian Kendrick, Akira Tozawa, And Noam Dar Advance In Cruiserweight Classic
- Brock Lesnar: Every WWE SummerSlam Appearance And Predictions For 2016
- WWE Monday Night Raw Results: Triple H Returns, Helps Kevin Owens Win Universal Championship
- WWE Women’s Championship: Every Women’s Match At SummerSlam And Predictions For 2016
Preview: WWE CWC Round 2, August 24
As Round 3 concludes next week, both Gran Metalik and Kota Ibushi will learn who they face in the semifinals. Metalik faces the winner of Zack Sabre Jr. (England) vs. Noam Dar (Scotland) while Ibushi takes on the winner of TJ Perkins (Philippines) vs. Rich Swann (USA).
Where to Watch
Immediately following new episodes of WWE NXT, the WWE Network airs new episodes of WWE CWC on Wednesdays at 9/8c. The Cruiserweight Classic tournament is then available for streaming on-demand immediately. The entire tournament is scheduled to air over 10 episodes, putting the finale on September 14.
[Image via WWE]