It was revealed on Monday afternoon that new WWE Universal Champion Finn Balor had suffered a serious shoulder injury during his match with Seth Rollins at SummerSlam, and that he would be out of action for up to six months. Balor was forced to relinquish the Universal Championship as a result.
Coming out of SummerSlam, it was pretty clear that WWE was planning to make Finn Balor one of Raw’s top babyface stars. But for now, those plans have been put on hold.
Prior to his injury, WWE fans had been talking about the possibility of the long-rumored Balor Club faction forming on Raw, but during his appearance on Chris Jericho’s podcast — Talk is Jericho –– Balor said that he’s not interested in forming the faction anytime soon.
“I think [The Balor Club] could happen eventually, but I don’t think it needs to happen right now. I don’t think there’s any reason for it to happen right now. Fantasy booking, yeah, it’s a great idea, it’ll give me plenty of options. But I think for me right now, being my own entity is more important for myself, and for Gallows and Anderson.”
It was also revealed during the podcast that Finn Balor was supposed to feud with Chris Jericho upon his main roster call up, which didn’t end up happening. Balor told Jericho that he didn’t know why that plan was changed, because he prefers to not be in the know when it comes to the booking process.
Whatever WWE had planned for Balor over the next six months is going to be put on hold, and if they were planning on doing the Balor Club idea, they’ll have to find something else for Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson to do for at least the next eight months, because it’s likely that WWE will want to bring Balor back as a babyface.
Of course, it’s way too early to tell when Finn Balor will make his return. In fact, he probably still hasn’t even gone in for surgery yet. But at this moment, the prognosis is that he’ll be out for six months, which means that he could return as a surprise entrant in the Royal Rumble in January. If he were to return in the Rumble, that would mean that he recovered from his injury in five months, but we’ve see guys in WWE come back from pretty severe injuries quicker than expected in the past.
It’s pretty safe to assume that, unless something goes horribly wrong, Finn Balor will return to WWE before WrestleMania, because “The Demon King” has been dying to be a part of WWE’s biggest event ever since he signed with the company in 2014.
Finn also said during the Jericho podcast that he wants to wrestle The Undertaker at WrestleMania. Of course, as of right now, The Undertaker is retired, and it doesn’t look like he’ll be returning to action any time soon. But, if he does, we could end up seeing “The Deadman” vs. “The Demon King” in Orlando next year.
WWE will probably end up putting the Universal Championship on Seth Rollins in Balor’s absence, which will probably lead to a rematch between the two upon Balor’s return next year.
During the opening segment on Monday’s Raw, Balor made it clear that he’s going to challenger for the Universal Championship upon his return, which means that WWE still has big plans for the now former Universal Champ when he returns to action. Does that mean that he’ll win the Royal Rumble match in January? That all depends on how his recovery goes, but if he’s able to recover in time, he’ll be one of the favorites to win the 30-man match next year.
[Image via WWE]