Netflix: Simone Missick To Play Misty Knight In Marvel’s ‘Luke Cage’ But Not ‘Iron Fist’
Head of Marvel Television Jeph Loeb was quoted as saying that Misty Knight would be appearing in Marvel’s Iron Fist, set to debut on Netflix in 2017. Soon after word spread about this new development in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, a correction was made. Misty Knight’s character, played by Simone Missick, is not set to be in the first season of Iron Fist. Loeb only meant to mention her role in the upcoming Netflix series Luke Cage, the next addition to the MCU.
Marvel’s Luke Cage, which is scheduled to be released September 30 on Netflix, is just one of the series leading to the highly-anticipated Defenders crossover series, as noted by Complex. Marvel’s The Defenders will see the coming together of Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist. Luke Cage, played by Mike Colter, didn’t appear in either season of Marvel’s Daredevil. He did appear, however, in Marvel’s Jessica Jones as a love interest of the titular character. The Iron First character has yet to appear anywhere in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Marvel’s Iron Fist is set to hit Netflix in early 2017, while The Defenders will be released later in the year.
Who Is Misty Knight?
While it may not be happening, it would have made complete sense for Misty Knight to have a role in Iron Fist. Having first appeared in Marvel Comics in 1975, Knight’s character had romantic affiliations with both Iron Fist and Power Man/Luke Cage. As a policewoman with excellent martial arts skills, she lost an arm while handling a bomb. The missing arm was replaced with a bionic one from Tony Stark’s company, and she eventually moved on to fighting crime without a badge. She is also good friends with Colleen Wing, who will also play a role in an upcoming Netflix series for the MCU.
In Marvel’s Luke Cage, she will be a police detective in Harlem. Accompanied by partner and mentor Rafael Scarfe (portrayed by Frank Whaley), she is very interested in the secret life of the titular character. Loeb had great things to say about the Misty Knight character in Luke Cage.
“I can tell you that what she’s doing on Luke Cage, it’s just incredible. The fans are really going to love it.”
The role is so good, that there’s already talk of a Misty Knight spin-off, as read in the Hollywood Reporter.
RELATED REPORTS BY THE INQUISITR
- Recap: Marvel’s Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. Picks Up Where ‘Captain America: Civil War’ Ends
- DC Comics Gives The Suicide Squad And Harley Quinn A Rebirth
- Does DC Universe: Rebirth Reveal What Happens In The Flash Season 3 After The Flashpoint?
- Arrowverse: The Flash Season Finale Recap — Zoom, The Iron Mask and a Shocking Ending
- Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 4 Press Release: Jason O’Mara Cast As Director — Ghost Rider To Debut
- DC Comics: Batman: The Killing Joke Movie & Graphic Novel — Everything You Need To Know
- DCTV: Tyler Hoechlin As Superman On The CW’s Supergirl — A First Look At The Costume
- Netflix: Tired Of Waiting For Marvel’s Daredevil Season 2? Check Out The Cast In These Other Netflix Options
- DCTV: Gotham Season Finale Recap — Unexpected Villains Revealed For Season 3
- Can X-Men: Apocalypse Compete With Marvel’s Civil War And Dawn Of Justice At The Box Office?
Who Is Simone Missick?
If Missick’s portrayal of Misty Knight is as good as Loeb makes it out to be, it could easily serve as Simone’s break-out role. If you’re unfamiliar with the actress, it’s because she hasn’t done much yet.
Missick played Porschla in one episode of Ray Donovan in 2014, and played an unnamed cop in an episode of Scandal last year. She was CJ’s wife in two episodes of Wayward Pines, and played small parts in several obscure short films. No word yet on whether Missick will reprise her Luke Cage role as Misty Knight on The Defenders, or whether she’ll make an appearance on future seasons of Daredevil or Jessica Jones.
[Image by Dave Mangels/Getty Images for Netflix]